White layer on Tenuis - infection?

zmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a problem with an Acropora tenuis frag that I got about 2 months ago. In the last few days I have noticed a progressive white layer. It does not look like RTN. Is this an infection with a fungus or something? Would really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

tenuis1.jpg tenuis2.jpg tenuis3.jpg

Pod_01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately most of that frag is dead. The only alive part is at the top:
1727623308661.jpeg

The rest of the dead coral is covered with algae and the white stuff.

My suggestion, cut the top of, glue it to a plug and hope it grows. The rest I would throw out.

Good luck,

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a problem with an Acropora tenuis frag that I got about 2 months ago. In the last few days I have noticed a progressive white layer. It does not look like RTN. Is this an infection with a fungus or something? Would really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

tenuis1.jpg tenuis2.jpg tenuis3.jpg
You can blame the vermetid Snails for that!

Screenshot_20240929_204818_Chrome.jpg

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
^ this, a 100%!
(you can see the dead portions are exactly where the verms slime/sweepers would make contact)

Pod_01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an aside and just my opinion, I would not buy another coral from that source.
Obviously they will sell infected corals. When I started about 6 years ago I got bonus coral aiptasia and I am still dealing with it.
Had I know that I would have been lot more diligent with my coral sourcing. These days I stick to few sources and unfortunately my LFS are not it.

Good luck,

OP
OP
Z

zmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can blame the vermetid Snails for that!

Screenshot_20240929_204818_Chrome.jpg
Thank you so much, I havent noticed it! I really have a vermetid snail problem on my rocks at the moment, trying to get rid of it by breaking it at the base. But I was not aware that vermetids can actually crawl into the corals. What can I do if I notice vermetids on the tissue of my SPS, should I glue it at this point?

zheka757

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say these coral has being like this for a while already, from my experience with vermetid snails is they don't grow on live coral tissue, only on dead portion of coral. And based on that picture, that is not the only coral that has vermetid snails

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much, I havent noticed it! I really have a vermetid snail problem on my rocks at the moment, trying to get rid of it by breaking it at the base. But I was not aware that vermetids can actually crawl into the corals. What can I do if I notice vermetids on the tissue of my SPS, should I glue it at this point?
Bumblebee snails are a natural predator, but if you have a lot you might want to get active and bust open their tubes, super glue them shut, and try to knock them back a bit.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back