Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
these pink colony that has been spreading like crazy has recently started shrivel up. when i took it out for inspections, most of the polyps were covered with these small clear bumps. i isolated some of the infected polyps and tried scraping them off w/ a razor, only to have them pop and dissolve, but still leaving a gray outline on the polyp where the bump used to be... is this same as what is listed on zoaid as white lesion/bumps? there is no color to them, just clear. so far i haven't noticed in any other colony except these desert storm palys that are on the other side of the tank.

Avast

revhtree

Owner Administrator
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never understand zoas. As of this morning, all zoas and palys are fully open and looked perfect. Still being skeptical, I took out the colonies for closer inspection, and all white bumps are gone. I'm goin to give an eye on'em for a few more days. Only thing I have done so far is manual removal of white bumps, addition of carbon, and reduced photoperiod. Oh...also about 40% water change over a period of 2/3 days.

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called it removing, but I'm sure it was just a term to make myself feel better about the plague. As stated above, the clear bumps simply popped, turning into liquid, while still leaving the white outline on the polyps where they used to be. After it was popped, I dried it with fresh papertowels everytime. I was afraid it would spread it more, but it seems to have inhibited the growth. I used an xacto knife.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it possible that these pox comes and goes according to the nature's internal clock? similiar to some of the poxes present in the human history, and how we can predict when they will arise among the human population correlated with geography and time. because many seemed to have made assumptions on the causes of these diseases in zoas, but not many know the exact treatment that gurantees 100% cure in all cases. in most cases, they just...seem to come and go. maybe i got lucky this time, or maybe i did something right among many things i tried to prevent a complete breakout, but some are not too lucky and end up losing 90% of the colony.

Pazazz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you did a water change you better recheck the salt level.. If they are palys this will happen when freshwater dipping ( I never recommend that on palys, but zoas seem to be able to handle it) The clear bubble you see is water that is being pulled into the paly because it has if not the same or close to the same salinity.... usually placing them back in the correct salinity they should recover if it was not too bad... I noticed this a few times when I first started FW dipping.... Most palys are pretty hardy and can make it if it is caught in time. I only dip now in Lugols 40 drops to a gallon and that works best for palys...

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never tried dipping, but did do several water changes. Maybe it's finally time to invest in a refractometer, but as far as my Instant Ocean hydrometer can tell, my salinity's been staying stable at 1.025 after several water changes. Pazazz, so what I observed on the palys is not a disease, but a self defense behavior of these palys? If so, I'm glad to hear that there was no pox present in the tank. Were there any studies done by hobbyists or articles written on this subject?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back