Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in love with torches and am making an Acan/Torch tank at the moment. I have a dragon soul, dragon tamer, 24k torch. I am looking to add a tiger, aussie banana, holy grail, ect. Which ones cant touch? I have heard aussies cant touch indos. Are indo, Malaysian and aussie torches going to sting/chem warfare between eachother?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, I would try to stop mentally differentiating torches from the same region from each other, based on a color or design that was given a name, as Different.

An Indo gold, purple, green, fairy dust sparkle fart torch.... Are all Indo torches.

I've heard it regurgitated at nauseam as well that indos and aissies shouldn't touch. I have never found it to be an issue and see it, constantly.

Malaysian torches are the only ones I've had, that Generally that do not play nicely with others.

Outside of that, you'll just need to read the torches. Some torches of the same geographic region still don't like to be super close. Some want to be cuddled up. Read the torch behavior and adjust accordingly.

AquaCave Logo Banner

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, I would try to stop mentally differentiating torches from the same region from each other, based on a color or design that was given a name, as Different.

An Indo gold, purple, green, fairy dust sparkle fart torch.... Are all Indo torches.

I've heard it regurgitated at nauseam as well that indos and aissies shouldn't touch. I have never found it to be an issue and see it, constantly.

Malaysian torches are the only ones I've had, that Generally that do not play nicely with others.

Outside of that, you'll just need to read the torches. Some torches of the same geographic region still don't like to be super close. Some want to be cuddled up. Read the torch behavior and adjust accordingly.
^ Excellent information here!

F i s h y

Cronies
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yep this. I also have the same mindset.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
BigWillStyle

BigWillStyle

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When searching there is more conflicting information then reliable. Is there an article, book or video that covers this well? The names and BS confuse and anger me to bits as none of them are consistent! Glad someone shares my sentiment

OP
OP
BigWillStyle

BigWillStyle

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the torch some are only comfortable with touching tips, others are a little more “wild” and “adventurous” and are comfortable with more than tip to tip :face-with-tears-of-joy::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
nothing wrong with touching tips haha I prefer the more adventurous corals myself :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When searching there is more conflicting information then reliable. Is there an article, book or video that covers this well? The names and BS confuse and anger me to bits as none of them are consistent! Glad someone shares my sentiment
I don't know of any (reliable) media talking about it. There are a thousand YouTube talking heads. I don't know one from another.

In this world of "there's a lot of ways to do the same thing", I find it helpful to find someone or a few someones who are successful in the Practice and pick their brain. Emulate their success and try to sidestep the issues they had.

@MERKEY has been a great roll model for me, torch wise.

PXL_20230424_013255521.jpg
PXL_20230425_015646166.MP.jpg

OP
OP
BigWillStyle

BigWillStyle

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know of any (reliable) media talking about it. There are a thousand YouTube talking heads. I don't know one from another.

In this world of "there's a lot of ways to do the same thing", I find it helpful to find someone or a few someones who are successful in the Practice and pick their brain. Emulate their success and try to sidestep the issues they had.

@MERKEY has been a great roll model for me, torch wise.

View attachment 3125084View attachment 3125085
These pics are the goals! I am so glad I found this place. I will look through build threads and reach out to him her. Much appreciated

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics

N1tew0lf1212

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post in thread '"SUPRISE UPGRADE" Waterbox 220' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/suprise-upgrade-waterbox-220.757905/post-10708527

I want to be Merkey when I grow up.
Im still just trying to be like you lol lost knows his stuff for sure a go to when in need....merkey is like an old greek god when it comes to his torch garden...def. follow his thread as well as ask him questions both merkey and lost have helped me save things countless times. Def great mentors in the hobby

MERKEY

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Lost hit the nail on the head ;)

Post in thread '"SUPRISE UPGRADE" Waterbox 220' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/suprise-upgrade-waterbox-220.757905/post-10708527

I want to be Merkey when I grow up.
Way too kind good sir! Your tank is on its own level and something to inspire to!!!

I will start by saying I'm a collector not a scientist haha

I have found with torches the most important thing to remember with space, is to allow room for growth.

This is where I have found most start acting up.

Other than that I've had them all 3 together with 0 issues....until they start growing and then the stronger will out grow the weaker. Then you see the fighting happen and one killing the other for space.

Could that be regional species attacking...again I'm no scientist and only see it when heads start splitting and needing more room.

Once they start really growing you need to decide to cut or stop adding and let the ones you have get big.

MERKEY

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im still just trying to be like you lol lost knows his stuff for sure a go to when in need....merkey is like an old greek god when it comes to his torch garden...def. follow his thread as well as ask him questions both merkey and lost have helped me save things countless times. Def great mentors in the hobby
We have such a great community and group of friends, thank you for the analogy...maybe like a Greek hoarder:face-with-tears-of-joy::face-savoring-food: :face-blowing-a-kiss:

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back