Which Roller Filter for 400 gallon frag system? Reef Factory Smart Roller Large? Redsea?

BigWillStyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 400 gallon frag system that I would like to run a roller fleece filter for. I have been running KLIR on my indoor tanks but have a DIY 100 gallon sump for the frag system. I would love something that is cheap in the long run and has support. Was considering the Reef Factory Smart Roller Large. Any suggestions?

WhatCouldGoWrong71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am going to be using 2 RS1200s in my 500G+ system. However, I will only be running 1 most times. My display will have 4 drains. The secondaries and e-drain will go into one of the 1200s. I will have a pump feeding a 60G remote cryptic. That will spill into one of the 1200s too. I don't think the full siphon will go into the roller. I am consolidating two tanks into this system, but have rollers that I haven't had hooked up in months. I had GEO build my sump with space for 2, I am glad I did. But, I really don't see me using them past 50% available flow.

OP
OP
BigWillStyle

BigWillStyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a couple

Pro version, something like the Deltec

That is, if it is a pro frag tank

And a size that can use fleece from a place like this

thats an amazing place to get roller fleece. I will need to start cutting my own! I dont see the performance improvement over the reef factory unit though. Is there a reason its that expensive?!

OP
OP
BigWillStyle

BigWillStyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be using 2 RS1200s in my 500G+ system. However, I will only be running 1 most times. My display will have 4 drains. The secondaries and e-drain will go into one of the 1200s. I will have a pump feeding a 60G remote cryptic. That will spill into one of the 1200s too. I don't think the full siphon will go into the roller. I am consolidating two tanks into this system, but have rollers that I haven't had hooked up in months. I had GEO build my sump with space for 2, I am glad I did. But, I really don't see me using them past 50% available flow.
Is the Fleece pretty cheap in that config? How do you like the rollers?

WhatCouldGoWrong71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yeah, I think it is inexpensive. I have tried some of the knockoffs and they just don't work nearly as well as the original. I have had 1 motor go bad, but I am OK with that, The fix was like $25 and super easy. And, I screwed up, I could have gotten it under warranty. I did burn the motor out using knock off brands (they tended to pull. The RS original has a coating on it that helps is move when wet, works really well). I (knock on wood) haven't come home to rolls just magically run through. I really like them. But, I have one system that it was cleaning the water too well. I was close to bottoming out so I unhooked it and things looked great. I wish they had a diverter valve. BUT, my old tanks only had 1 drain and an e drain. Now, with my new peninsula tank coming, I can route a lot of water around the rollers. So, I think I am going to be in a really go place.

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have some ARF-20s for sale. They are automatic. Supposedly work well. I have 2 brand new. Selling cheap IMO.

Just don’t have room in my sump. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OP
OP
BigWillStyle

BigWillStyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I am going to go with the reef factory large. I can get it under 300 bucks new and it should handle everything for a least a few weeks between changes

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back