Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a long term freshwater aquarist, and I would like to try out a reef tank.

I want the tank to be on the smaller side. I don't have that much capital and I move a lot. It just doesn't make sense to go with a big tank. I think ~20 gallons would be a perfect size.

For simplicities sake, I think I want an AIO tank. I may want to build a sump sometime in the future, but it seems like it'll be easier/cheaper to start with an AIO. Do you agree or should I look into building a sump?

I really like the look of peninsula type aquariums, I think the tank shape can make for some really interesting aquascaping. I have quite a few options. Theres the IM Nuvo Fusion 20 Peninsula, the Waterbox Peninsula Mini 25, and the Fiji Cube 20 Gallon Peninsula. I like how long the Nuvo Fusion 20 Peninsula is, but it seems like the most over-priced. Which of these three options do you think is the best?

The thing attracting me most to saltwater is the sheer variety of fauna and flora compared to freshwater. I plan on really getting a variety of different organisms. I'll have some fish, a wide variety of inverts (shrimp, snails, crabs, maybe a sea slug?), macroalgae, and corals (start with zoas and soft corals, move to LPS and easy SPS). I'll be getting some live rock and I'm going to encourage hitchhikers. Building a diverse ecosystem with lots of microfauna is my goal. For fish, I'm thinking a pair of clowns and one or two other fish (royal gramma, hawkfish, a goby, or yellow banded possum wrasse). My office mate had an office tank with a pair of clowns and I found I really liked their look and behavior (especially how they swim). Will these fish work in a 20 gallon?

I'm definitely going to get an ATO system. It seems really useful for an open-top rimless tank. The Tunze Osmolator Nano seems perfect.

I think I'm going to get a skimmer? I might not get one to start (I'm going to be stocking this tank very slowly) and to see how things go. Coming from freshwater, it's interesting how skimmers are ubiquitous in saltwater but completely unused in freshwater. I think the difference is the size and number of water changes typically done with freshwater tanks and the heavy planting in some freshwater tanks. I usually do >50% water changes weekly on my tanks, but it seems like a lot of saltwater tanks get much fewer and smaller water changes. A skimmer allows you to get away with this. With the complication of adding salt and maintaining good salinity, it makes sense that you would want to do fewer water changes on reef tanks. I'll definitely have to be sure to find one that fits the tank I choose if I do get one.

For lighting, I really want to cheap out. Honestly, the Nicrew and Lominie lights seem pretty nice and they are way way cheaper than some of the other options. I found a few PAR readings for these lights and they seem like they'd be sufficient. If I need more light I could always purchase another one. I'm OK with having some low PAR areas in the tank as I think this will be beneficial for macroalgae and some of the softer corals. I'll just focus the SPS directly under the lights. Do you think these lights will work?

Top Shelf Aquatics

lapin

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great plan.
If you dont mind water changes, the skimmer can be done away with.
20 gallons will limit the amount of livestock but then you know about tanks and the urge to upgrade.

90's reefer

Fight the Good Fight
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about nano cubes?
Dont cheap out on the lights.
Buying the right light once is cheaper than having to upgrade.
Im running 2 16HD's on my 18" nano cube because its all sps.
One would be fine for a mixed reef.

You dont need a skimmer on that small of a tank, imo.

I run a Tunze nano ato on my cube and frag system. Frag system ato is 6 years old now.

I run a Nicrew light in my 45 frags sump amd it grows cheato but I would not use it for coral.

I do 2 gal water changes once a month.

My nano cube and frags sump.
20220220_132447.jpg
20220204_165429.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

afrokobe

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a IM peninsula 20, but its currently freshwater planted. I also have a 25g cube with hob equipment and cannister filter. My only complaint on the IM is that you will have less rear chamber filtration space than a traditional shaped aquarium since the AIO chamber is on the short end.

I plan on eventually taking down the planted tank and switching it to a reef. So I might have more opinions in the future... In terms of all the tanks you listed. I would get the waterbox, simply because it is the largest in terms of volume

BYU

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the im peninsula and love it
cute little tank
i also run cheaper current marine orbit pro lights on top
par is adequate but i love that it has a low profile so little spill over in the room
currently i have mostly torches zoas and some sps but prob not great with sps
i actually got the tank brand new $80 when a lfs had a special deal
stand was much more
i don’t use a protein skimmer.
also i didn’t replace the stock pump with the mighty jet
pics are older but wanted to show you the lights are super thin right on top
0D4E0160-68E7-41A8-B910-A23A87E41F4A.jpeg
181FEE07-851C-4D07-BD46-521CAD969D29.jpeg
7109D3B6-9680-4EC7-9AA9-1F125D0ADC03.jpeg
90B59F78-A42A-409D-986C-FE4CFD1AEA38.jpeg

AS
OP
OP
Z

zdrc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After some consideration, I think I want to go with the Waterbox Peninsula Mini 25. While the stock pump might suck, it's $100 less than the IM, it comes with filter media, and it's 5 gallons larger. I also think that the footprint will make it easier for me to light and flow.

OP
OP
Z

zdrc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After some consideration, I think I want to go with the Waterbox Peninsula Mini 25. While the stock pump might suck, it's $100 less than the IM, it comes with filter media, and it's 5 gallons larger. I also think that the footprint will make it easier for me to light and flow.

Maybe I underestimated how expensive return pumps can be...

If I want SPS I need like 80 times turnover? That's 2000 gph for a 25 gallon. I'm looking at a >$200 return pump?

Poochaku

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you probably want to just get a quiet reliable return pump and supplement flow with a powerhead. keep in mind aio chamber dimensions limit what pumps you can use.

I would also think about what type of mechanical filtration, if any, you want to use. For example, the waterbox forces you to use a filter sock unless you cut that section out.

I personally think the lid (unless you plan on stocking only low jump probability fish, keep in mind virtually any fish has a CHANCE of jumping), nice return pump, and media basket the IM comes with is easily worth the premium. Also the waterbox media sucks. (relatively) That combined with you preferring the dimensions on the IM lead me to believe you will be happier with it.

Nutramar Foods

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just ordered one of these. Haven't got it yet, but I'll be starting a build thread on it as soon as it gets here.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good options. On the cheap you don't need all that though. 20g from petco for $30, HoB filter $50, sand, rocks, salt, RoDi, tests that aren't made by API, couple cheap wavemakers. Can wait a few months before lights are even needed. Gives plenty of time to research.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Oceanis

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly what I got after 12 years out of the hobby (used to have 125). No regrets at all. Got the AI light and tunze skimmer and ato system. In retrospect the skimmer probably wasn’t necessary but I do weekly 3 gallon water changes.

Only qualm is the original pump can get a little noisy if it’s not properly secured and the filter socks can slow the flow of water if they’re not regularly maintained.

Great Choice

DatsoonDave

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Top Shelf Aquatics

Nano-DaveJ

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve owned all of those brands (plus Lifegard aquatics and Fluval Evo). IM Nuvo comes with a screen top and a nice controllable DC pump so factor that into your price calculations. Not to mention theres a ton of add-on gear for the Nuvos available. That said, Fiji Cube and Waterbox have better baffle setups. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of them so it just comes down to footprint and features.

jazzfisher

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the IM 14 peninsula (also the IM 30L & IM 10) it comes with everything you need except heater, sand & salt. You will need a lid and it is included with IM, you don’t need a skimmer. Buy a good light at the beginning, I started with the Current but then got the AI Prime 16 HD so much better. Get the Prime or whatever- they come up here on the forum used all the time. Don’t waste money buying a cheap light just to have to buy another later.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jasanne

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say get an evo, you are eventually going to want to upgrade. This hobby is addictive and the evo is small enough that when you think you messed up it only takes a couple minutes for a water change unlike my old 100 gallon. The pump sucks but you can upgrade. And when you are ready for a bigger tank it makes a great QT tank :) theres whole groups on fb dedicated to this tank with lots of very nice people. Stores up here sell evo packages with everything you need some kits include the upgrades and some even include some fish and clean up crew for after your cycle. Bonus… its not that expensive so you can invest the extra $ into other things. I eventually chose to upgrade my lighting. The light that came with it is ok, then I went with a nicrew, then got an AI prime 16 HD. I honestly really wish I had just got the ai prime when I got the tank. You can pm me if you have any questions or want to join one evo groups if you go that way. Theres tons of 3d print things for the evo too.

mrjoe

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you looked at the IM 25 lagoon?? what I really like about that tank is the filtration is on the back (long) wall.... I'm not a fan of the wb 25 because they put the filtration on the short side.. doesn't fit where I want to put aesthetically.. Or I might go for a cube but haven't see anything I really like yet. Also don't cheap out on the lights.. ymmv....

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
JBJAquarium.com
Back