Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I did prazi-pro during QT for my magnificent foxface, I think I may have went about it wrong. Just looking for solid clarification of items from my 60 breeder QT tank need to be removed during prazi or can stay.

Last time I removed EVERYTHING from my hob filter and let dosed the prazi pro directly around the outer edges of my tank, let the hob filter keep running even though nothing was in it, couple powerheads, heater, and an air bubbler. Let it run that way for 48 hours, then I added the bio-wheels and put filter floss cartridges that contain some carbon in them back into the hob filter, then after 7 days I did a 20 percent water change and the following day I dosed prazi again and removed EVERYTHING from the marineland hob filter again for 48 hours and then placed everything back in after 48 hours and then after 7 days I did another 20 percent water change and also put new filter cartridges in.

This time around I also now have bio-bricks from my 310gal displays sump inside the QT hob filter, along with the filter cartridges and bio-wheels. I just brought home this weekend a pair of blue throat triggers and am going to be doing a round of prazi for them.

Of those things… what do I need to remove completely and for how long?

3E32507D-31B5-4122-A8CB-0E3050D59225.jpeg
CE614429-5D91-47DF-8355-1E33E9D60B9E.jpeg
B9108F75-4601-4BA4-9E5F-1B64A3052D91.jpeg

These are the filters that are currently in the HOB filter:

A2CBF088-2A87-4B8C-8B3E-CE8D31963B36.jpeg

I also have these if these if it’s better to use these non-carbon filter floss pads at some point?:

23FFF28D-F338-44D2-A152-E44DA01A314A.jpeg

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Last time I did prazi-pro during QT for my magnificent foxface, I think I may have went about it wrong. Just looking for solid clarification of items from my 60 breeder QT tank need to be removed during prazi or can stay.

Last time I removed EVERYTHING from my hob filter and let dosed the prazi pro directly around the outer edges of my tank, let the hob filter keep running even though nothing was in it, couple powerheads, heater, and an air bubbler. Let it run that way for 48 hours, then I added the bio-wheels and put filter floss cartridges that contain some carbon in them back into the hob filter, then after 7 days I did a 20 percent water change and the following day I dosed prazi again and removed EVERYTHING from the marineland hob filter again for 48 hours and then placed everything back in after 48 hours and then after 7 days I did another 20 percent water change and also put new filter cartridges in.

This time around I also now have bio-bricks from my 310gal displays sump inside the QT hob filter, along with the filter cartridges and bio-wheels. I just brought home this weekend a pair of blue throat triggers and am going to be doing a round of prazi for them.

Of those things… what do I need to remove completely and for how long?

View attachment 3073914View attachment 3073915View attachment 3073916

These are the filters that are currently in the HOB filter:

View attachment 3073918

I also have these if these if it’s better to use these non-carbon filter floss pads at some point?:

View attachment 3073917
The bio-Block should be seeded with bacteria source. You can utilize the filter cartridge. Simple cut straight across the top with scissors and shake out the carbon onto a paper towel and save it. After treatment you can rinse cartridge and place carbon back in.
For prazi, its more than 3 days (3 days as a dip) :
Dose at 80% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite

Nice pair of blue throats- I have a 6" male arriving tomorrow

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bio-Block should be seeded with bacteria source. You can utilize the filter cartridge. Simple cut straight across the top with scissors and shake out the carbon onto a paper towel and save it. After treatment you can rinse cartridge and place carbon back in.
For prazi, its more than 3 days (3 days as a dip) :
Dose at 80% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite

Nice pair of blue throats- I have a 6" male arriving tomorrow
So as far as the bio bricks… so those are fine to stay in the hob filter during prazi? What about the bio-wheels? Those are somewhat essentially the same thing as the bio-bricks aren’t they? T

And then the filter cartridges… since I have two different kinds, would doing like you said, be somewhat the same idea if I were to use the blue filter floss that doesn’t contain carbon, then when prazi treatment is over, swap those filter floss pads out with the cartridge that has the carbon inside of it?

So basically I’m trying to figure out if everything is fine to stay in that hob filter…. Just not anything carbon related correct?? I’ve been so confused on that part of it

CLICK TO VIEW

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as far as the bio bricks… so those are fine to stay in the hob filter during prazi? What about the bio-wheels? Those are somewhat essentially the same thing as the bio-bricks aren’t they? T

And then the filter cartridges… since I have two different kinds, would doing like you said, be somewhat the same idea if I were to use the blue filter floss that doesn’t contain carbon, then when prazi treatment is over, swap those filter floss pads out with the cartridge that has the carbon inside of it?

So basically I’m trying to figure out if everything is fine to stay in that hob filter…. Just not anything carbon related correct?? I’ve been so confused on that part of it
Prazipro treatments are kind of odd - the medication isn’t very soluble in water (they dissolve it in glycol). When you add it to the tank it actually forms a very fine precipitate. In practice, it is best to add it around the tank like you did, just to disperse it well. In theory, a really fine filter material will pull the prazi precipitate from the water, but in practice, it doesn’t seem to affect its working.
I just turn off protein skimmers and remove carbon when dosing it.
Jay

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro treatments are kind of odd - the medication isn’t very soluble in water (they dissolve it in glycol). When you add it to the tank it actually forms a very fine precipitate. In practice, it is best to add it around the tank like you did, just to disperse it well. In theory, a really fine filter material will pull the prazi precipitate from the water, but in practice, it doesn’t seem to affect its working.
I just turn off protein skimmers and remove carbon when dosing it.
Jay
So my bio-wheels, and bio-bricks… trying to figure out if I should remove those or not. Are they good to stay in my hob? And then I have two different sets of filters. One that contains carbon inside of them, and another that is just strictly blue filter floss. Would you say to remove filters altogether, or use the one that doesn’t contain the carbon in it for the duration of the prazi treatment? Then switch back to the carbon one once prazi treatment is done?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my bio-wheels, and bio-bricks… trying to figure out if I should remove those or not. Are they good to stay in my hob? And then I have two different sets of filters. One that contains carbon inside of them, and another that is just strictly blue filter floss. Would you say to remove filters altogether, or use the one that doesn’t contain the carbon in it for the duration of the prazi treatment? Then switch back to the carbon one once prazi treatment is done?
Run all that media except the one with carbon in it.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

use the cartridge with floss to entrap micron particles but again - Remove carbon - yes, NO carbon and skimming also does niot help if you utilize one.

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
use the cartridge with floss to entrap micron particles but again - Remove carbon - yes, NO carbon and skimming also does niot help if you utilize one.
No I’m not running a skimmer on the QT. Just the marineland hob filter.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
The Random Flow Generator® Nozzle by VCA
Back