Which hanna phosphate checker should I get?

BRS

JonahDeMarco

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I know this is a highly debated topic, and ultimately most people recommend both ultra low range checkers, but my question is for a newly set up tank where phosphate could easily be above the maximum range of the ultra low range checkers (0.9ppm i believe). Would it be better to get the low range checker while a tank is Cycling and stabilizing (first 6mos-1yr), and then buy the more accurate ultra low version later on down the road.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the low-range Hanna HI713. It tests from 0.0 to 2.5ppm and is accurate to within ±0.04ppm. Do you need the ultra low range HI774? Not really. It tests from 0.0 to 0.90ppm with an accuracy of ±0.02ppm. I'd rather know if my phosphates exceed 0.90ppm as opposed to a higher degree of accuracy on what the actual number is. As long as they're not 0 and not above 1.0 I'm generally happy.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
JonahDeMarco

JonahDeMarco

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the low-range Hanna HI713. It tests from 0.0 to 2.5ppm and is accurate to within ±0.04ppm. Do you need the ultra low range HI774? Not really. It tests from 0.0 to 0.90ppm with an accuracy of ±0.02ppm. I'd rather know if my phosphates exceed 0.90ppm as opposed to a higher degree of accuracy on what the actual number is. As long as they're not 0 and not above 1.0 I'm generally happy.
That's really my goal, I don't think I'm going to be chasing ULNS. Just healthy.

CocoReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really my goal, I don't think I'm going to be chasing ULNS. Just healthy.
To start I dont chase ULN but I do prefer to keep my phosphates <.2 ppm as I have found thats just what my tank likes.

I read an article by BRS when I was deciding which phosphate checker I should get and I ended up getting the HI736 ULR phosphorus checker after reading it. My tank was also new when I got it and I knew the levels were going to be out of range so for the first few tests all I had to do was dilute the samples with 5mL RODI and I still got very accurate results until I figured out what my tank liked.

Heres the BRS article: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/phosphorus-or-phosphate-testing-with-hanna-checkers

OP
OP
JonahDeMarco

JonahDeMarco

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To start I dont chase ULN but I do prefer to keep my phosphates <.2 ppm as I have found thats just what my tank likes.

I read an article by BRS when I was deciding which phosphate checker I should get and I ended up getting the HI736 ULR phosphorus checker after reading it. My tank was also new when I got it and I knew the levels were going to be out of range so for the first few tests all I had to do was dilute the samples with 5mL RODI and I still got very accurate results until I figured out what my tank liked.

Heres the BRS article: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/phosphorus-or-phosphate-testing-with-hanna-checkers
Very informative! Thank you

Nutramar Foods
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back