Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Seneye that I use solely for measuring PAR, but I am looking to purchase an Apogee Instruments meter to replace the Seneye because I no longer want to connect a meter to my computer. So, I am trying to decide between the MQ-210 and the MQ-510. I use only T5s, so I don't need the capability to measure LEDs, but it may be nice to have if I decide to supplement my T5s with LEDs in the future. However, if I do add LEDs, then they will be for evening viewing only. I did notice @Dana Riddle's recent post regarding a new sensor from Apogee Instruments, which is the SQ-620, so I am interested to see if that would be a better option or simply unnecessary.

What do you think would be the best instrument, out of the meters mentioned above, for measuring PAR in my aquarium?

If it helps, I currently use three ATI Blue Plus bulbs and three ATI Coral Plus bulbs in my six-bulb ATI Sunpower, and that's likely what I will use for a few years since I have plenty of replacement bulbs in storage.

Corals.com

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Seneye that I use solely for measuring PAR, but I am looking to purchase an Apogee Instruments meter to replace the Seneye because I no longer want to connect a meter to my computer. So, I am trying to decide between the MQ-210 and the MQ-510. I use only T5s, so I don't need the capability to measure LEDs, but it may be nice to have if I decide to supplement my T5s with LEDs in the future. However, if I do add LEDs, then they will be for evening viewing only. I did notice @Dana Riddle's recent post regarding a new sensor from Apogee Instruments, which is the SQ-620, so I am interested to see if that would be a better option or simply unnecessary.

What do you think would be the best instrument, out of the meters mentioned above, for measuring PAR in my aquarium?

If it helps, I currently use three ATI Blue Plus bulbs and three ATI Coral Plus bulbs in my six-bulb ATI Sunpower, and that's likely what I will use for a few years since I have plenty of replacement bulbs in storage.
For the money, you can't do better than the MQ-510 with full-spectrum sensor. The SQ-620 is for LEDs only, due to the sensor's spectral response.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the money, you can't do better than the MQ-510 with full-spectrum sensor. The SQ-620 is for LEDs only, due to the sensor's spectral response.
Thanks, Dana! I was leaning toward the MQ-510, and your response validated my thoughts. Also, it would have helped for me to thoroughly read the information about the SQ-620, which I only skimmed. :)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Subscribe to ReefStache so you don't miss out!
Back