Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at the point in my build where I need to start thinking about power cables, controllers and all things electrical.

My tank stand is freestanding in the room, you can walk around it entirely. It's also a pensinsula style tank (if that matters). I have installed two separate GFI 4-gang outlets nearby, each on its own breaker. I have a cable cover for the floor that can accommodate three power cords, that's how I'm connecting the power to the stand.

So, where do people normally mount their Apex, EB832 and other controllers? In the sump area? I will be adding removable side panels to the stand, I was thinking I could put one of them on hinges, add a mounting board like those made by Adaptive Reef.

Or is the sump location a bad idea due to salt creep, humidity, etc?

As you can see, I have space on the walls in the area, it could be mounted there. But then I will need to run many cables from the wall mounted controller board, through the floor cable covers and into the sump. I have not only the Apex, but a Helios heater controller.

Any advice or suggestions?

Apex placement.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm at the point in my build where I need to start thinking about power cables, controllers and all things electrical.

My tank stand is freestanding in the room, you can walk around it entirely. It's also a pensinsula style tank (if that matters). I have installed two separate GFI 4-gang outlets nearby, each on its own breaker. I have a cable cover for the floor that can accommodate three power cords, that's how I'm connecting the power to the stand.

So, where do people normally mount their Apex, EB832 and other controllers? In the sump area? I will be adding removable side panels to the stand, I was thinking I could put one of them on hinges, add a mounting board like those made by Adaptive Reef.

As you can see, I have space on the walls in the area, it could be mounted there. But then I will need to run many cables from the wall mounted controller board, through the floor cable covers and into the sump. I have not only the Apex, but a Helios heater controller.

View attachment 2880624
Place a board in one of the ends of stand (which looks nice) to mount components to

Nutramar Foods

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It kind of depends if you want the stuff visible. Some like the tech side of the hobby and make a display out of the controllers. Others hide them in cabinets (or hide them in the sump area like you are talking about). I have always been hesitant to put anything electrical in an enclosed space next to water but many do it.

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 2880624
Maybe build a canopy and mount on that? Run the wires across the ceiling. Idk, might look okay.

rsumner

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since your sump doesn't have lids on it and it will be enclosed, I wouldn't suggest mounting the Apex and power bar facing the wet side. The salt creep and humidity will eventually destroy the electronics. I would suggest building a panel that separates the wet side of the sump from the electronics and mounting the equipment on the outside of that panel facing outwards.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I am reluctant to leave the controllers and power cords accessible. Perhaps I can build a small panel recessed on the interior of the stand frame so that it faces away but is still coverable by the side panel. Maybe put a small ventilating fan on the opposite side of the frame so that fresh air in across the panel and the sump air expelled in the opposite direction. Hmm.

Neptune

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back