Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mentioned this in my AIO build thread, but thought I'd post here for more eyes...

I actually recently just had some Newbie? trouble with my JBJ 20 g Cubey and lost all my fish. Had it going for a couple months. Stocked with a purple firefish and a damsel for about a month. Not really sure what happened, but I think I must have screwed up the water.

Everything was fine, I thought. I went to bed late and thought the fish put themselves to bed. I’m betting they were suffering now? Last Fri/Sat my ammonia levels got to .05. I had to make water, so I added API API ammo lock Saturday night and did a 25% water change on Sunday, and added 2 oz of Dr Tim's one and only. The filter sponge was dirty. I didn’t have one on hand as I thought, so I cleaned/rinsed it in the sink. Changed the carbon. And scraped the diatoms off the glass. I set the return underwater, not all splashy.

Ammonia levels were at <0.02 by the Ammonia Alert sticker when I went to bed and the water was clear, pH mid to upper 7s. Temp 79. SG 1.024. I did put a SaltwaterAquarium ORA captive-bred clown in and some snails/hermits earlier in the day. The clown didn’t look so good out of the box and it died later night (maybe due to water?). Given how it arrived, it wasn't surprising to me that it didn't make it. I saw it going to bed and its corpse was in a tough spot, at the back of the tank under the rock canopy, so I figured I’d remove it first thing in the morning. I woke up 6-7 hours later water was super milky-cloudy and all the fish and urchins were dead. I was able to save most of the Narcissus snails and hermit crabs. Only one of the Turbos "came back to life".

I’ve drained, cleaned, and rinsed it. Then filled it back up with Nutri Sea-water to get the surviving inverts in there and to try for another go. If anybody has any ideas about where I went wrong, I'd appreciate the lesson!

My guesses are a bacterial bloom or that having the return underwater and not splashy decreased the O2 in the water and made it hypoxic? That monitoring ammonia is not a great index of nitrates/nitrites? That adding a clown and inverts yesterday plus one fish dying starting a cascade that caused bacteria to bloom and use up all the oxygen and they suffocated? I’ve got no idea. I'm also still working at trying to feed the right amount.

Little sadder than I thought it would be losing fish. If there are any ideas, I’ve got a water change coming up on my 125 g tank and I’d like to not have it happen to that tank, too, if I did a bad rookie water change mistake.

Nutramar Foods
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since about mid-march. Added fish mid-april.
Sounds like you were still going through a cycle and doing too much too fast. Take a deep breath. You are going to hear a lot about having patience in this hobby. ;)

newreef1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mentioned this in my AIO build thread, but thought I'd post here for more eyes...

I actually recently just had some Newbie? trouble with my JBJ 20 g Cubey and lost all my fish. Had it going for a couple months. Stocked with a purple firefish and a damsel for about a month. Not really sure what happened, but I think I must have screwed up the water.

Everything was fine, I thought. I went to bed late and thought the fish put themselves to bed. I’m betting they were suffering now? Last Fri/Sat my ammonia levels got to .05. I had to make water, so I added API API ammo lock Saturday night and did a 25% water change on Sunday, and added 2 oz of Dr Tim's one and only. The filter sponge was dirty. I didn’t have one on hand as I thought, so I cleaned/rinsed it in the sink. Changed the carbon. And scraped the diatoms off the glass. I set the return underwater, not all splashy.

Ammonia levels were at <0.02 by the Ammonia Alert sticker when I went to bed and the water was clear, pH mid to upper 7s. Temp 79. SG 1.024. I did put a SaltwaterAquarium ORA captive-bred clown in and some snails/hermits earlier in the day. The clown didn’t look so good out of the box and it died later night (maybe due to water?). Given how it arrived, it wasn't surprising to me that it didn't make it. I saw it going to bed and its corpse was in a tough spot, at the back of the tank under the rock canopy, so I figured I’d remove it first thing in the morning. I woke up 6-7 hours later water was super milky-cloudy and all the fish and urchins were dead. I was able to save most of the Narcissus snails and hermit crabs. Only one of the Turbos "came back to life".

I’ve drained, cleaned, and rinsed it. Then filled it back up with Nutri Sea-water to get the surviving inverts in there and to try for another go. If anybody has any ideas about where I went wrong, I'd appreciate the lesson!

My guesses are a bacterial bloom or that having the return underwater and not splashy decreased the O2 in the water and made it hypoxic? That monitoring ammonia is not a great index of nitrates/nitrites? That adding a clown and inverts yesterday plus one fish dying starting a cascade that caused bacteria to bloom and use up all the oxygen and they suffocated? I’ve got no idea. I'm also still working at trying to feed the right amount.

Little sadder than I thought it would be losing fish. If there are any ideas, I’ve got a water change coming up on my 125 g tank and I’d like to not have it happen to that tank, too, if I did a bad rookie water change mistake.
Did you have any live sand or rocks in the tank? Or was the sponge your source of bio/mechanical filtration?

Top Shelf Aquatics

newreef1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I actually recently just had some Newbie? trouble with my JBJ 20 g Cubey and lost all my fish. Had it going for a couple months. Stocked with a purple firefish and a damsel for about a month. Not really sure what happened, but I think Last Fri/Sat my ammonia levels got to .05. I had to make water, so I added API API ammo lock Saturday night and did a 25% water change on Sunday, and added 2 oz of Dr Tim's one and only. The filter sponge was dirty. I didn’t have one on hand as I thought, so I cleaned/rinsed it in the sink. Changed the carbon. And scraped the diatoms off the glass. I set the return underwater, not all splashy.

Little sadder than I thought it would be losing fish. If there are any ideas, I’ve got a water change coming up on my 125 g tank and I’d like to not have it happen to that tank, too, if I did a bad rookie water change mi
Dry live rock and caribsea live sand, yes.
API ammo lock I think is just a fancy dechlorinator, it binds to ammonia temporarily to give you time to do a WC but I think after some time it release the ammonia back into the water. The cloudy water could also be from your water, what’re you using for your water source, tap water or RODI? Chlorinated water could cause cloudiness and rinsing your sponge in it could also kill off beneficial bacteria adding to the fish stress from the present ammonia, add to that the dead fish in the tank overnight and it seems like it was a cascade of stress issues for the fish. A small 20 gallons I think gets affected a lot quicker than a bigger 125 gallon. Your bigger tank I think you’ll have more space for error but I know with smaller tanks it happens a lot more quicker, that’s why a lot of people with nano tanks are so good with weekly WC. Sorry to hear about your fish, you make mistakes and learn, unfortunately the hard way sometimes, but hang in there.

newreef1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also the ammonia alert sticker isn’t very accurate in saying how much ammonia is actually in the tank, it’s more to see if you have any ammonia present in the tank or not, for the most part. Similar to nitrites, while they may not be something to worry about, they’re more of an indication of ammonia being present in the tank.

OP
OP
quesomuchacho

quesomuchacho

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the ammonia alert sticker isn’t very accurate in saying how much ammonia is actually in the tank, it’s more to see if you have any ammonia present in the tank or not, for the most part. Similar to nitrites, while they may not be something to worry about, they’re more of an indication of ammonia being present in the tank.
Thanks! These notes are really helpful and fit with what I saw. Got it up going again - sounds like water change, water change, water change would’ve helped a lot.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NooPsyche CORAL LIGHT
Back