Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello , I am brand new to the hobby . I have a 65 gallon tank with a fx4 filter pump and a heater. I do not yet have lights . I am currently using PNS PROBIOTIC and Dr. Tim’s Ammonia chloride additives per advised by my local store .

This is a 2 part question .
1. Will not having lights effect my cycling time in a negative way or effect the cycle in general ?

2. If it will not effect it and when I get my lights, how will I know when I can start adding fish and coral ? I know I want the ammonia levels to be reading around 2ppm from what I was told , is that correct ? I am a bit confused on when I would know the tank is stable to add fish and coral considering it’s only been a day and I’ve been told the non-fish cycling period normally takes place around 1 1/2 - 2 weeks.

Top Shelf Aquatics

mjscooby717

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lights won’t affect your cycle much, but around the end of the cycle can help grow some algae and boost what’s going to slowly happen anyways. And you want ammonia and nitrite at zero, and nitrate at a stable number (maybe 3). aswell as all your calcium phosphate etc etc at good levels.

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ammonie and nitrite should read zero on the test kit, thats when the cycle is done.

Some people disregard the nitrite level since its not harmful to fish, but personally I see nothing wrong with waiting an extra week for nitrite to drop to zero. Fish can then be added slowly, 1 or 2 at a time, and wait a month to add the next fish, give the bacteria time to multiply and to keep up to the bioload.

Use a good test kit, don't get the API master test kit, its not good.

The fish don't need bright lights, but they also shouldn't be in the dark, Ambient lighting should be bright enough for them to distinguish day and night and keep a normal daily rhythm.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquarium Specialty
Back