+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

I have recently filled my tank with water, live sand, and LifeRock from Carribsea. I also dosed the tank with API Quick Start (per directions on bottle).

It is currently in the "settling" stage, salinity is stable at 1.026 however I do not currently have test kits (Recommendations?)

When is a good time to begin looking deeper into options regarding stocking my tank? I completely understand that it takes a good 4-6 weeks to properly cycle the tank, I am just curious if some more experienced reefers can provide some information :)

TIA!

Avast

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once parameters are normal and your tank has cycled, then I would feel safe about stocking the tank. Just remember not to overstock the tank too fast, since that can mess with parameters. Add slowly and you will be fine! Best of luck to you!

OP
OP
Luxorth

Luxorth

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once parameters are normal and your tank has cycled, then I would feel safe about stocking the tank. Just remember not to overstock the tank too fast, since that can mess with parameters. Add slowly and you will be fine! Best of luck to you!
Do you have any specific recommendation for test kits? I have found some that test a huge range of parameters, but from my understanding for fish only ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are the important parameters to start, is this correct? TIA :)

AS

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any specific recommendation for test kits? I have found some that test a huge range of parameters, but from my understanding for fish only ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are the important parameters to start, is this correct? TIA :)
Yep! I recommend the API Saltwater Master Test kit, it is a little expensive but a great test kit to test those parameters that you listed. RedSea also has one that is supposed to be good as well. Both will cost you around the $75 range but give you plenty of test to get you going for a little while. Eventually I would go the route of digital test like Hanna Instruments, or a marine master (both can get quite costly haha).

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Coral Frenzy
Back