When is the best time to plan for a tank disaster?

Ecotech Marine

Eric R.

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now! Do you have a battery backup? Do you have a generator? Have you told yourself you really should get a $500 generator to protect your $5k+$10k tank but still haven't purchased one? Have you thought about a whole system battery backup but thought it would be too complicated or expensive?

Check out this excellent reef beef episode with special guest Jim Graham (@telegraham) where they discuss Rich's new battery backup system and other things to think about when planning for disaster.

(Warning - reef beef is known to use foul language and four letter words, including some weird Scottish ones you may have never heard of. And Jim takes his pants off. You've been warned!)

Nutramar Foods

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good video I am 30 minutes in it so far.
I did a test with a Tunze 6095 and tune safety connector and a small ASM battery, it rant he pump for 5 days.
First thing you need for a power outage is flashlight exactly where it is suppose to be.
Build from there.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Griev

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best time is during initial tank planning, budgeting, and set-up.

The second best time is now. ;)

On this topic I just bought a battery backup system that gives me a few days of emergency run time. It's great peace of mind going into summer storm season.

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
Eric R.

Eric R.

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does one really have to listen to yet another tedious reef video to know you ought to have some kind of power outage plan?

I wouldn't call it tedious. I think Ben, Rich, and Jim are pretty amusing to listen to. And I think Jim and Rich came up with a nice off the shelf equipment option for battery backup that I haven't seen done/discussed often. Did you listen to any of it before responding?

Here's an 11 minute segment discussing Rich's battery setup specifically if you don't want to watch the whole episode, though they discuss other things in the episode as well.

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At a minimum you should a generator. I installed a plug to hook up a big generator to my entire house and did a while home surge protector.

I personally would love to have a battery back up but some of us don’t dictate our entire house to a fish tank :squinting-face-with-tongue: Like Mr. Ross.

My next tank i plan to do a remote sump in the garage probably but for now everything is under my cabinet.

I have considered a small ups just to plug my eb832 into but Thats just another thing i have to figure out. I may need to do an external cabinet.

World Wide Corals

telegraham

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now! Do you have a battery backup? Do you have a generator? Have you told yourself you really should get a $500 generator to protect your $5k+$10k tank but still haven't purchased one? Have you thought about a whole system battery backup but thought it would be too complicated or expensive?

Check out this excellent reef beef episode with special guest Jim Graham (@telegraham) where they discuss Rich's new battery backup system and other things to think about when planning for disaster.

(Warning - reef beef is known to use foul language and four letter words, including some weird Scottish ones you may have never heard of. And Jim takes his pants off. You've been warned!)

Thanks, @Eric R. That was a fun one! BTW, true story...it was a very serious episode. We had to digitally add the smiles to the thumbnail. :cool:

OP
OP
Eric R.

Eric R.

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does one really have to listen to yet another tedious reef video to know you ought to have some kind of power outage plan?

I figured when I said that Jim takes off his pants, that's really all I needed to mention to get people to want to watch the video. That's why I saved it for last, I didn't want people to just stop reading there to watch the video immediately.

Nutramar Foods

telegraham

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured when I said that Jim takes off his pants, that's really all I needed to mention to get people to want to watch the video. That's why I saved it for last, I didn't want people to just stop reading there to watch the video immediately.
Nobody wants to see that business!

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Join the movement!
Back