Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I set up an 180 gallon with a 75 gallon modified tank for a sump. It’s cycled (1month) and currently home to 2 clowns, 2 bangkia cardinals, and a six line wrasse. The rocks are still clean and have not gone through the ugly phase.

When should I add tangs? I want to add them all at the same time but I feel that it could be a heavy bio load to add. Could I add small amounts of ammonium chloride to fake the bio load?

Second part- the fish list. What order should I add the fish list? Should the list be modified?

1xGem or Black Tang
1xKoi Tang (probably biggest in size)
2xBlue Powder Tang
1xBrow Powder Tang
1xBlue Hippo Tang
1xNaso Tang
1xPurple Tang

I know some of these are rare but I found a place that has them.

AquaCave Logo Banner

polyppal

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
polyppalgif5.gif

You want to add the fish (particularly large fish) in small groups to let the bio filter adjust to the new load. If it were me, id add maybe 2, wait a month then add 2 more, etc.

Tangs can be fierce with each other, particularly those in the same family (Zebrasoma/Acanthurus/Naso/etc). Sometimes people get lucky and they all get along, but more often there is a lot of violence/death (particularly in anything but giant aquariums).

The Gem/Purple/Koi/Black are same family, PBl/PBr likewise. Id go with one from each of those categories and maybe fill out with some other non-tang fish. And for gods sake, do not add these fish without a full proper QT or you will end up with some major disease/death down the road

If your not up for the work of quarantine, id highly recommend purchasing pre-quarantined fish from someone like @tsmaquatics @Dr. Reef @Marine Collectors

Last edited:
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
Y

YoX

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 2569241

You want to add the fish (particularly large fish) in small groups to let the bio filter adjust to the new load. If it were me, id add maybe 2, wait a month then add 2 more, etc.

Tangs can be fierce with each other, particularly those in the same family (Zebrasoma/Acanthurus/Naso/etc). Sometimes people get lucky and they all get along, but more often there is a lot of violence/death (particularly in anything but giant aquariums).

The Gem/Purple/Koi/Black are same family, PBl/PBr likewise. Id go with one from each of those categories and maybe fill out with some other non-tang fish. And for gods sake, do not add these fish without a full proper QT or you will end up with some major disease/death down the road

If your not up for the work of quarantine, id highly recommend purchasing pre-quarantined fish from someone like @tsmaquatics @Dr. Reef @Marine Collectors
Would you think a 55 gallon tank is big enough for two tangs at a time or should I set up my 125 as a QT tank?

Additionally, the 55 has sand in it but no rocks and is where the current fish were residing, could I get away with using it as it for a QT?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I set up an 180 gallon with a 75 gallon modified tank for a sump. It’s cycled (1month) and currently home to 2 clowns, 2 bangkia cardinals, and a six line wrasse. The rocks are still clean and have not gone through the ugly phase.

When should I add tangs? I want to add them all at the same time but I feel that it could be a heavy bio load to add. Could I add small amounts of ammonium chloride to fake the bio load?

Second part- the fish list. What order should I add the fish list? Should the list be modified?

1xGem or Black Tang
1xKoi Tang (probably biggest in size)
2xBlue Powder Tang
1xBrow Powder Tang
1xBlue Hippo Tang
1xNaso Tang
1xPurple Tang

I know some of these are rare but I found a place that has them.
8 tangs in a 180 may be a little concerning. I have 6 in my 225 gal tank. Make sure you have plenty of hiding spots for them. As they mature their attitude changes. You could add them in 2 batches. I would add, in any order, then Zebrasoma in one batch and then the Acanthurus in another batch. I put in my existing Tomini tang 1st, then my Achilles tang, then 3 Zebrasoma and a Blonde Naso.

OP
OP
Y

YoX

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 2569241

Also why can’t I just treat them in the display tank? I don’t have corals and the rest of the fish besides the wrasse wouldn’t have issues with the treatments

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

polyppal

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also why can’t I just treat them in the display tank? I don’t have corals and the rest of the fish besides the wrasse wouldn’t have issues with the treatments
you could take that route, particularly if the other fish in the system aren't QTd, however the copper might leach into other tank surfaces and provide longer term problems. What are the other fish stock?

I think a 55g would be fine for 2 tangs to QT, just be ready with water on hand to do substantial water changes

You could also just treat your fish with 2 doses of Prazipro in the display, then QT with hyposalinity for a month. This is ez on the fish, wipes out Ich and could apply to the whole DT, however it won't necessarily destroy velvet or other less common but serious diseases. No corals or inverts can be in the tank for the duration of the hypo treatment either.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back