Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just setup my 40 breeder mini reef, trying to dial in salinity last night it read 1.04, this morning 1.01 I have the Milwaukee meter, which I believe is a good tool.

but more so I’m curious do people skim during the cycling process?

I’ve added live sand, live rock this weekend.

the tank is a standard 40 breeder
Drop in Fuji AIO
2 AI prime
I have a koralia powerhead opposite the return, I do have an mp40 & 10 somewhere in my garage just haven’t found the power supply.
I also have aquamaxx protein skimmer but haven’t started that yet as I’m unsure if I’ll hang it off the back or place it in the middle chamber of the AIO sump or if it’s too soon.
Next up is ATO

World Wide Corals

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish and starfish lover!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That salinity is either not correct or way too low. It should be between 1.024-1.026! You do have to calibrate salinity meters. And you skim once you get livestock or an ammonia source in the tank or else it really won’t do anything or create much foam.

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
PhishMonger84

PhishMonger84

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I understand the meter may be off and the 1.04 may have been a false reading due to me testing the night before and not rinsing.
i have about 2 gallons too much in the tank, so I’m hoping that evaporation will get me where I want to be. I also have the Hannah test but those seem to be hard to use.
Either way I’ll bring a sample to the fish store to get a rough idea where we are at

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I understand the meter may be off and the 1.04 may have been a false reading due to me testing the night before and not rinsing.
i have about 2 gallons too much in the tank, so I’m hoping that evaporation will get me where I want to be. I also have the Hannah test but those seem to be hard to use.
Either way I’ll bring a sample to the fish store to get a rough idea where we are at
Edit… read that wrong…

Avast

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tanks that don't even have skimmers so put it in when you feel like it. ;)
Why is your salinity do low. I mix to 1.025 in a container then add to tank. You said you are "trying to dial in salinity" are you mixing salt directly into the tank? I guess it could be done but would not be recommended and definatly not going to work when water changes are needed :thinking-face:

I'd recommend getting a cheap atc refractometer (less than $20) and making or buying calibration fluid do you don't have to depend on your lfs to do your testing.

"It is.. I was reading it wrong… I thought you had 1.004 lol"
Du I was also

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tanks that don't even have skimmers so put it in when you feel like it. ;)
Why is your salinity do low. I mix to 1.025 in a container then add to tank. You said you are "trying to dial in salinity" are you mixing salt directly into the tank? I guess it could be done but would not be recommended and definatly not going to work when water changes are needed :thinking-face:

I'd recommend getting a cheap atc refractometer (less than $20) and making or buying calibration fluid do you don't have to depend on your lfs to do your testing.
It’s not… I was confused myself.. it’s actually high! He has a Milwaukee meter he said in the first post.

OP
OP
PhishMonger84

PhishMonger84

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually not sure what the accurate reading is because i got 1.04 last night and 1.01 this morning. so it could be a calibration error but more likely operator error.

too early for you guys, lol?

this is the meter i have: I was under the impression this was a good one?
1684591160987.png

jda

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get it right. You have not hurt anything.

Just translate everything into PPT when you post. Most won't know what the Milwaukee is or will get confused, just like when people post that they have a WaterReefer 145A and nobody knows the dimensions or gallons. :)

OP
OP
PhishMonger84

PhishMonger84

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get it right. You have not hurt anything.

Just translate everything into PPT when you post. Most won't know what the Milwaukee is or will get confused, just like when people post that they have a WaterReefer 145A and nobody knows the dimensions or gallons. :)
thanks, what's the conversion equation?

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
FnR
Back