When can I add fish after turbo start 900?

BRS
Nutramar Foods

mike550

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added fish the next day. But do what the directions say. Also don’t run skimmer or do a water change for a while. Let the bacteria multiply and take hold.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello, Everyone. I am adding Fritz Turbo start 900 as well as Fish less fuel today. When can I add fish after adding this?
This will be variable with experiences but best is to raise ammonia and then add ammonia chloride or a piece of shrimp (shrimp for 48 hours). Then you want to monitor ammonia. When your ammonia is steady at zero for 5 days and Nitrate is steady at 20 or below- You are cycled. Ignore nitrIte Unless sky high
The tank will go through two phases in which ammonia will rise then fall and nitrate will rise and fall which is normal. When fish are added, the bacteria population will increase with the new bio load, converting waste to nitrate.
Overloading tank with too many fish up front will exceed what the bacteria can handle which is why its best to stock fish slowly over the next few months

mike550

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, do I add a Dr Tim’s ammonia with it or not? Or fishless fuel?
I didn’t do any of that. I think you pick one approach and follow the directions. So I wouldn’t mix Fritz and then follow up with Dr Tim’s. Other people might but they’re too smart for me. I just did what the bottle said to do.

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, do I add a Dr Tim’s ammonia with it or not? Or fishless fuel?

I like to do that just to make sure you didn't get a dead bottle since some of them don't handle temperature extremes that can happen during shipping. You don't need to put much ammonia in to test it. Just a tiny bit to see nitrate eventually come up (something like 1-2 ppm ammonia is fine). Its far faster and cleaner than putting in something like rotting shrimp or fish food.

AS

brclark82

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can either a) add a fish right away or b) use the fishless fuel and wait for the ammonia to drop back to zero

Don’t add the fish AND the fishless fuel though

The TurboStart is so good though I would add it and some fishless fuel, you ammonia will be zero within 48 hours and you can immediately add fish

OP
OP
A

agREEFs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to do that just to make sure you didn't get a dead bottle since some of them don't handle temperature extremes that can happen during shipping. You don't need to put much ammonia in to test it. Just a tiny bit to see nitrate eventually come up (something like 1-2 ppm ammonia is fine). It’s far faster and cleaner than putting in something like rotting shrimp or fish food.
Okay thank you

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back