What's your favorite R2R thread for advanced reefing education?

BRS

Koleswrath

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read a lot of threads over the years (seemingly always at work :flushed-face: ) but I still come across some that blow my preconceptions out the door and open up whole new methods of tank husbandry or even some that contain small gems of info that I've found I can implement in my tank for the better. I'll start this one off with the most recent one I've been reading.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/do-we-need-nitrate-in-a-reef-tank.976904/
Excellent info on nitrate and higher forms of nitrogen along with a huge amount of links to other threads and studies on the subject.

Let's hear some of your favorite in depth discussions that have really affected how you go about reefing!

World Wide Corals

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to cycle any reef tank without any testing and get an exact start date vs open- ended wait:

=the first testless cycling reef tank thread.

How to transfer or upgrade or move any reef tank without ever causing a cycle or a mini cycle using no bottle bac and no testing at all. 200+ jobs worked start to finish:

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the chemistry forum:

Prime, from seachem, staple in the hobby for over twenty years, is proven to be ineffective and a marketing gimmick the entire time

Read the article to see what the real protective mechanism was, in cases we thought was handled by prime

OP
OP
Koleswrath

Koleswrath

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to transfer or upgrade or move any reef tank without ever causing a cycle or a mini cycle using no bottle bac and no testing at all. 200+ jobs worked start to finish:

I only made it to page 30 or so on this one but you convinced me and I effectively RIP cleaned my 4 month old tank to a sparkle last month after ridding myself of Ostreopsis dinoflagellates. Exported all that dead mass out and shifted the balance in my tank from hair algae to coralline and easily scrapeable film algae. Still doing amazing. :grinning-face:

brandon429

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I knew a less brutish way to earn all those clean after pics. I do not lol

am willing to cheat my tank clean for years to come until someone figures out a way to not need the rip cleans

*I would like to see that thread across 200 jobs

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read a lot of threads over the years (seemingly always at work :flushed-face: ) but I still come across some that blow my preconceptions out the door and open up whole new methods of tank husbandry or even some that contain small gems of info that I've found I can implement in my tank for the better. I'll start this one off with the most recent one I've been reading.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/do-we-need-nitrate-in-a-reef-tank.976904/
Excellent info on nitrate and higher forms of nitrogen along with a huge amount of links to other threads and studies on the subject.

Let's hear some of your favorite in depth discussions that have really affected how you go about reefing!
Yep, read that one.
I've been on a Kick about anything to do with nitrates and phosphates. And every one of them sixties_reefer has been on them. So much to learn.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Geo's Reef
Back