Wha'ts the best placement for my Nero 3 pump in my nano reef?

AI Hydra

JohnNYC8

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for ignoring the horrible typo in the title

Based on my tank layout and future corals, where do you think the best placement for my Nero 3 powerhead is and how should I angle my return pump nozzle?

I'd like to grow a blue zoa garden (@WWC WWC AOI Zoanthids) on the low rock island in the front and have some higher flow corals up top. When the reef is more mature and I can consistently dose I'd like to get a couple of plating montiporas on the upper parts of the rock and an acropora towards the top.

I'm thinking of placing the pump in the lower third of the back right glass on an angle to the left. That would place the pump behind the aquascape, angled up and towards the near-front-left corner over the rocks. I'm thinking of pointing my return pump nozzle just above the zoa garden for medium flow.
IMG_0445.jpg

top-down view
IMG_0443.JPG
IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics
World Wide Corals

CoastalTownLayabout

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mate, I’ve been running Nero 3 on a similar size nano AIO for a while now. Mines about a third of the way down right pane and centred. Any lower and it starts moving sand around, any higher and you have to turn it off for a water change.

I found centre pane gives good even flow throughout in pulse mode, no dead spots.

Ultimately, you’ll need to see how it reacts to your scape.

Great little pumps, enjoy it.

AS
OP
OP
JohnNYC8

JohnNYC8

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mate, I’ve been running Nero 3 on a similar size nano AIO for a while now. Mines about a third of the way down right pane and centred. Any lower and it starts moving sand around, any higher and you have to turn it off for a water change.

I found centre pane gives good even flow throughout in pulse mode, no dead spots.

Ultimately, you’ll need to see how it reacts to your scape.

Great little pumps, enjoy it.
Thanks! By the right pane do you mean the black wall on the right or the wall straight across in the first picture? If it's the black wall to the right I don't think I can get it on center there with my skimmer installed.

CoastalTownLayabout

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the pane closest to your proposed low set zoa island.

I trialled it on the back wall for a while but it was a maintenance chore getting it out for cleaning. Plus I was suss on having the magnet mount exposed to tank water in the AIO compartment.

OP
OP
JohnNYC8

JohnNYC8

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the pane closest to your proposed low set zoa island.

I trialled it on the back wall for a while but it was a maintenance chore getting it out for cleaning. Plus I was suss on having the magnet mount exposed to tank water in the AIO compartment.
Thanks, that makes sense. I didn't even think of the maintenance aspect.

Nutramar Foods
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Extreme Corals
Back