+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429 is the master.

It is pretty much removing rock, removing algae, cleaning sand, etc....resetting the tank.
I take a hard bristle bamboo scrubber and take the rock out one by one and scrub it.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nuances: a deep reset would require new bacteria added

We're just shy of that :) check these examples/ my top 6 rip cleans:

No bacteria added
Its a way of infinitely preserving a reef tank by force cleaning out all the waste and or invasions. Vs working in increments, this is all at once/ same day turnaround biology

Rip cleaned tanks cannot develop old tank syndrome

Nutramar Foods
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
R

Risk1994

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just cyano? How old is your tank? Have a picture? What is your current cleaning/filtration regime?
About 19 months old, you can see pics on my build thread in my sig. Cleaning regimen for last several months is blowing off cyano from rocks/backwall/sand and sucking up with canister filter about every 4-7 days. It comes back in like 2 days but I just cant do a clean like that every 2 days. Its really killing me....of all the issues I've experienced over time this one is the one thats making me want to call it quits. My corals/fish seem to be doing pretty well with good growth, its just this %^$^$%^ cyano is driving me nuts!

I've got UV/rollermat/fuge/skimmer. Parameters are below..they're very stable over time.
sal:35ppt - ph 8.2 - alk 8.8 - cal 485 - po4 .05 - no4 15

lighting is 12hrs but only 7 near max (which is at 56% using sky lights) with AB+

Im not doing chemi-clean...just more work to have it come right back after. Im going to try waste away....minus the refresh. I just dont want to risk killing my inverts.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All those things are a risk

they just save work

for example, here’s fifty more pages of rip cleans :) that was the short read above

flip through my before and after pics see if you’ve ever seen such stark cleanup contrasts from any doser or alternate means:

100% tanks saved.

our work is intense but its the safest no loss method possible compared to messing with the water and dosing antibiotics

*for large jobs we stagger back the sand addition

we take your sandbed out and rinse it, but then run the system bare bottom for a couple months to ensure fixed of cyano, then we put the sand back. None of this causes a cycle.

Top Shelf Aquatics

CoastalTownLayabout

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call this maintenance method whatever you like but it essentially simulates a significant disturbance like a storm surge event. These occur naturally and regularly on reef and lagoon systems around the oceans and seas. Don’t be afraid of it, just understand what it does and why you’re doing it.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
LA
Back