Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a frag with a single mushroom on it today, and after a dip and a rinse this guy came crawling out from under the mushroom as soon as I put it in the tank. (I failed to lift up the mushroom and rinse between it and the frag disk.) It crawled back into hiding as I retrieved the frag, but I did some more intense cleaning under the mushroom and was able to force it out. I can't match it up with any photos here or in a Google search and was wondering if anyone recognizes it? It's an inch long when it stretches out.

20230301_161255.jpg

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a frag with a single mushroom on it today, and after a dip and a rinse this guy came crawling out from under the mushroom as soon as I put it in the tank. (I failed to lift up the mushroom and rinse between it and the frag disk.) It crawled back into hiding as I retrieved the frag, but I did some more intense cleaning under the mushroom and was able to force it out. I can't match it up with any photos here or in a Google search and was wondering if anyone recognizes it? It's an inch long when it stretches out.

View attachment 3044847
Not sure, but I have a few of these in my two tanks and I've never seen them eating anything but picking on the live rock, except one that just went for it and grabbed a small piece of nori I was trying to feed to a turbo. It couldn't take the whole thing but managed to pull some of it into its hole. I think they are detritivores and not bad guys.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tmRoth

tmRoth

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, but I have a few of these in my two tanks and I've never seen them eating anything but picking on the live rock, except one that just went for it and grabbed a small piece of nori I was trying to feed to a turbo. It couldn't take the whole thing but managed to pull some of it into its hole. I think they are detritivores and not bad guys.
Thanks for the info - that's good to know in case there's another one that I missed.

Upvote 0

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tmRoth
It kind of looks like a dorvilleidae worm to me, but hard to get a conclusive ID without more close-up pictures, especially of the head.
If it is a dorvilleidae worm, they are typically considered harmless/beneficial clean-up crew.

There are some types of worms that burrow into corals, but I'm not familiar with that ID.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tmRoth

tmRoth

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tmRoth
It kind of looks like a dorvilleidae worm to me, but hard to get a conclusive ID without more close-up pictures, especially of the head.
If it is a dorvilleidae worm, they are typically considered harmless/beneficial clean-up crew.

There are some types of worms that burrow into corals, but I'm not familiar with that ID.
All the dorvilleidae have "legs" in the photos I see, but mine seems to be smooth-sided. Although this one is so small, the legs may just not be noticeable. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the dorvilleidae have "legs" in the photos I see, but mine seems to be smooth-sided. Although this one is so small, the legs may just not be noticeable. Thanks.
I could not tell in your photo for sure, but dorvilleidae do have legs. The head on yours also does not look enough like a dorvilleidae to confirm ID.

Upvote 0

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a dorvillidae, I'm pretty sure of that. I've had both this and Dorvillidae in my tanks and the Dorvillidae have characteristic 4-prong antennas and legs. This one has a smooth white/tan head and smooth(er) body like an earthworm. I've seen these called peanut worms in R2R often, but doesn't exactly track with Sipunculans (https://ucmp.berkeley.edu/sipuncula/sipuncula.html) as these seem somewhat segmented like annelids, and I haven't seen the same type of head on these as the pics of peanut worms (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-04/rs/index.php). So I'm imagining that these are some type of community mischaracterized annelid/detritus worms. My thoughts!

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tenecor Aquariums
Back