What The Sump

prairies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't sure if I should post this in Equipment or Macroalgae, so I apologize in advance!

I am highly considering establishing a macro algae aquarium (with maybe a couple softies, we'll see) to specifically house CB seahorses and their CUC. I intend on establishing the macro for several months before adding the first pair of ponies; I am not in a rush!

The 125gallon aquarium has a centre internal overflow, bottom drilled for a sump. The sump has not yet been constructed, though I imagine it would be somewhere in the range of 25 and 40 gallons.

I am unclear about what I should do with my sump now that my brain has switched changed gears to seahorses, as opposed to a community reef. I feel like I've rendered it more or less useless, other than to create gas exchange and provide a place to hide other equipment (heater, fan, ATO etc)

From the information I've gathered during my research, there doesn't seem to be any purpose for a skimmer, scrubber, UV etc. And I'm unsure if my 'oversized refugium' needs its own refugium :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: Though I was considering using the sump to tumble chaeto on a reverse lighting schedule for pH... I'm worried as it seems like there would be too much macro in the system overall, eventually having to dose nitrates in insane quantities.

I've been trying to find alternative ideas for my sump to give it purpose. A few things that caught my attention in my research:

- KISS - Floss, rock, carbon, then back up the return. Nothing fancy, basic freshwater filter
- Tumbling chaeto - Balance pH at night, extra space away from ponies for microfauna (not sure if it's even necessary given the size of the aquarium, they should establish plentifully throughout the display)
- Find a more permanent method/design which uses the sump as a place to cultivate and distribute additional food for ponies or their fry (instead of DIY soda bottles)
- Find a design that gives the ability to use the sump as a safe grow out space for fry
- BRSTV mentions of using different filtration other than macro, including specific filter feeding corals or clams (Probably not realistic if nitrates are expected to bottom out)

Any ideas, even obscure or outside the box, are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited:

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wasn't sure if I should post this in Equipment or Macroalgae, so I apologize in advance!

I am highly considering establishing a macro algae aquarium (with maybe a couple softies, we'll see) to specifically house CB seahorses and their CUC. I intend on establishing the macro for several months before adding the first pair of ponies; I am not in a rush!

The 125gallon aquarium has a centre internal overflow, bottom drilled for a sump. The sump has not yet been constructed, though I imagine it would be somewhere in the range of 25 and 40 gallons.

I am unclear about what I should do with my sump now that my brain has switched changed gears to seahorses, as opposed to a community reef. I feel like I've rendered it more or less useless, other than to create gas exchange and provide a place to hide other equipment (heater, fan, ATO etc)

From the information I've gathered during my research, there doesn't seem to be any purpose for a skimmer, scrubber, UV etc. And I'm unsure if my 'oversized refugium' needs its own refugium Though I was considering using the sump to tumble chaeto on a reverse lighting schedule for pH... I'm worried as it seems like there would be too much macro in the system overall, eventually having to dose nitrates in insane quantities.

I've been trying to find alternative ideas for my sump to give it purpose. A few things that caught my attention in my research:

- KISS - Floss, rock, carbon, then back up the return. Nothing fancy, basic freshwater filter
- Tumbling chaeto - Balance pH at night, extra space away from ponies for microfauna (not sure if it's even necessary given the size of the aquarium, they should establish plentifully throughout the display)
- Find a more permanent method/design which uses the sump as a place to cultivate and distribute additional food for ponies or their fry (instead of DIY soda bottles)
- Find a design that gives the ability to use the sump as a safe grow out space for fry
- BRSTV mentions of using different filtration other than macro, including specific filter feeding corals or clams (Probably not realistic if nitrates are expected to bottom out)

Any ideas, even obscure or outside the box, are greatly appreciated! Thank you!
I use my "refugium" in my sump for a pair of Clowns and some Nems. I have a small Leptastrea, 3 BTAs (plus a baby), 2 Mocha Ocellaris, an RFA, and a Carpet Mushroom. I had to add some extra circulation for the Nems but otherwise it works beautifully. Now if one of the Nems would host my clowns it would be even better.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a bunch of macro in the tank you dont really need a fuge. A cryptic zone would be my go to in your case. Possibly a skimmer. I would do 1st area drain and skimmer, 2nd area cryptic zone, 3rd ato and return, put heaters in one of the first 2 sections if using them. Filter feeders such as feather worms and sponges in the cryptic zone.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
With a bunch of macro in the tank you dont really need a fuge. A cryptic zone would be my go to in your case. Possibly a skimmer. I would do 1st area drain and skimmer, 2nd area cryptic zone, 3rd ato and return, put heaters in one of the first 2 sections if using them. Filter feeders such as feather worms and sponges in the cryptic zone.
Running a Macro "display" though, the skimmer may be overkill and strip too much. Not feeding a ton, there may be a need to dose nutrients as it is to keep the macro alive which also makes the cheato not a great option.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Makes sense. My concern would be stripping too much and killing Macros but if you have to overfeed then absolutely!

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn the sump into a Fuge housing a large population of pods and shrimps that likely spill into main or can be harvested to provide live feed and refuge from horses eating entire population would be my thinking. No such thing as over filtration and could still be run opposing display maintaining pH where here stable more needed then high values.

OP
OP
P

prairies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn the sump into a Fuge housing a large population of pods and shrimps that likely spill into main or can be harvested to provide live feed and refuge from horses eating entire population would be my thinking. No such thing as over filtration and could still be run opposing display maintaining pH where here stable more needed then high values.
This is ultimately what I will likely do, to keep pH stable and maintain a constant food source. Thanks!

OP
OP
P

prairies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm unfamiliar with cryptic zones so I'll be doing a ton of reading this afternoon. Thank you!

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm unfamiliar with cryptic zones so I'll be doing a ton of reading this afternoon. Thank you!
Cryptic zone and all that macro in the display go hand in hand. They will feed each other. Pods can grow and thrive in cryptic zones also. What @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal was saying is true Ponies are messy and a lot of food goes to waste a good skimmer should be in the design. As you mature the tank stock it with pods before the ponies and watch them hunt while the population hopefully doesnt get decimated.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a Macro "display" though, the skimmer may be overkill and strip too much. Not feeding a ton, there may be a need to dose nutrients as it is to keep the macro alive which also makes the cheato not a great option.
Yeah definitely no cheato in the sump. That why I said cryptic zone. With a lot of macro in the display cheato would just take needed nutrients from the display.

OP
OP
P

prairies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cryptic zone and all that macro in the display go hand in hand. They will feed each other. Pods can grow and thrive in cryptic zones also. What @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal was saying is true Ponies are messy and a lot of food goes to waste a good skimmer should be in the design. As you mature the tank stock it with pods before the ponies and watch them hunt while the population hopefully doesnt get decimated.
Absolutely I will be stocking the tank with as much living microfauna as possible.
I'm still iffy about the skimmer, as I really don't want to remove anything that the macro needs to flourish, as well as possibly kill the sort of self sustaining microfauna population I'm trying to build. I will likely cave and have a skimmer on standby for instances where I think I could benefit from it, but I don't think it's something that would be required to run 24/7 on this build. I'm definitely still researching this area, but I think a lot of it will be better learned through experience once the tank has been running with a consistent source of ammonia for some time.

I'm definitely interested in the cryptic zone after the little bit of reading I've done so far. I think it could be very beneficial in the long run, so I will continue to do my research and take it all into consideration moving forward!

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely I will be stocking the tank with as much living microfauna as possible.
I'm still iffy about the skimmer, as I really don't want to remove anything that the macro needs to flourish, as well as possibly kill the sort of self sustaining microfauna population I'm trying to build. I will likely cave and have a skimmer on standby for instances where I think I could benefit from it, but I don't think it's something that would be required to run 24/7 on this build. I'm definitely still researching this area, but I think a lot of it will be better learned through experience once the tank has been running with a consistent source of ammonia for some time.

I'm definitely interested in the cryptic zone after the little bit of reading I've done so far. I think it could be very beneficial in the long run, so I will continue to do my research and take it all into consideration moving forward!
This is one reason I said to put the skimmer in the first chamber. Are you going to get pods going down to the sump yeah some but hopefully you get more going from the cryptic zone up to the display. So skimmer before cryptic zone. Skimmer will also help with ph depending on ambient co2 levels get outside air to help. The cryptic zone doesnt need to be just rubble some rock pieces with sponge already growing would be beneficial.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Read this: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/k...and-providing-excellent-water-quality.302439/

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the link above...

"The final aspect of filtering that I am going to discuss is removing the DOC (dissolved organic compounds) from the water column. When a seahorse’s primitive digestive system passes wastes into the water, only some of it is caught by the mechanical filtration. Much of it dissolves and is not caught. This can promote unsightly nuisance algae in addition to being problematic to the seahorse’s health. A large oversized protein skimmer is a very effective way of reducing the DOC. When it comes to seahorse tanks and purchasing a protein skimmer, I say the bigger the better! My protein skimmer is rated for a tank 3 times the size of my system and I don’t think it is overkill. I consider a good protein skimmer a “must have” item for a seahorse tank unless you plan to significantly increase your WC schedule.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back