Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been trying to save a brain coral I posted about a while back that's been receding and is on it's last legs as of now. Tried a FW dip, an H2O2 dip, and just today bought some tincture of iodine from the pharmacy and used a few drops and dipped in that. When I removed the coral, these were squiggling around. Is it possible this is the root cause? If so, what are they and how do I kill them without bombing the rest of the coral?

Attachments

• 20230104_115721.mp4
    18.8 MB
Nutramar Foods

Eric Cohen

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could see the video.......not working on my browser:(

Brain coral need a lot of nutrition......not sure what the squiggly things are but don't sound good!

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confucius says: Don’t shoot mosquito with a cannon.
I am not actually sure if he said that, but dipping coral back to back in 3 various solutions is not without side effects for poor coral. Corals do not osmoregulate well and they stenohaline, meaning able to tolerate narrow range of salinity. Hydrogen peroxide dip is primarily to kill algae, but surely it will effect other organisms too. Tincture of iodine is antibacterial, but it is very concentrated so overall poor coral needs to rest a bit. Cannot comment on squiggly things as video didn’t load for me.
Overall all methods you used are legit, but it just might’ve been to much for your specimen.

World Wide Corals

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are worms, but I am no good with worms. Will post a snip of the video, so hopefully someone can ID.

Screen Shot 2023-01-04 at 4.09.31 PM.png

Shirak

Valuable Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlikely to be the cause. Probably just some detritus eating worms feeding on dead tissue.
You mentioned basic parameters in your other thread but never mentioned anything about nutrients, lighting, or flow. How long have you had the coral? Looks like a Trachy? Had it been healthy and growing for a long time prior to this problem? Is it relatively new? They are difficult to ship if they are on the larger size without the flesh around the edges getting damaged by the skeleton. How about a current picture? It's not very puffed up on the picture in the other thread which tells me there is something going on with it and it's not super happy.

Straight FW dip on a coral? That's harsh and usually never a good plan. Most I ever do is half SW/half peroxide and that is for killing algae on skeletons and plugs only. Dip for a minute maybe two at most. Dips for pests .. coralRX or the Bayer insecticide. Dip for 15min or so.. Dips for disease Cipro, Chemiclean. Dip for an hour a day with a couple dips a day or two apart. I have used short Iodine dips in the past but never had good results.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Rovert

Rovert

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confucius says: Don’t shoot mosquito with a cannon.
I am not actually sure if he said that, but dipping coral back to back in 3 various solutions is not without side effects for poor coral. Corals do not osmoregulate well and they stenohaline, meaning able to tolerate narrow range of salinity. Hydrogen peroxide dip is primarily to kill algae, but surely it will effect other organisms too. Tincture of iodine is antibacterial, but it is very concentrated so overall poor coral needs to rest a bit. Cannot comment on squiggly things as video didn’t load for me.
Overall all methods you used are legit, but it just might’ve been to much for your specimen.
The dips were not in the same day, but were applied over the past three weeks.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Cultivated Reef
Back