Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting back into the hobby and going to start with a RSM Nana AIO. My question is what is the best water test kit to buy if I have a budget of $300ish ?"""

AS
OP
OP
ogdlow

ogdlow

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about these new digital kits? I still have a good ol handy RSM refractometer. Looking to get into a digital kit. Still blow away by all of the new technology that is out since i last was in the hobby back in 2003.

Avast

elysics

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High quality (big) glass hydrometer together with plastic graduated cylinder such as Tropic marin, or high quality refractometer, or both

Salifert alkalinity, calcium, magnesium

Hanna phosphorous or phosphate (Hi736 or Hi774) with extra reagents

A bottle of reference seawater to compare your tests against

A magnetic stirrer and a couple extra stir bars

Some nitrate test, you'll have to try which one suits your eyes best, I have no problems with salifert, could also do the high range Hanna one if you want digital

High CRI desk lamp or magnetic flashlight

A couple measuring jugs, glass and plastic, various sizes

Silicone mat to do the testing on, if you search for "soldering mat" you'll find a couple nice small ones

Disposable gloves, do your hands a favor, doesn't cost much

If you have money to spend, and adjustable pipettor in the 1-10ml range

Note that the digital ones are easy on the eyes, but hard/strict on cleaning and handling. And just because they give you more digits doesn't automatically mean they are more accurate. Convenient though.

Top Shelf Aquatics

elysics

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while i have all the individual hanna testers, if your looking at spending that much id look into this one from hanna...

Can't very well do multiple tests at once, working one while the other is waiting on the reaction, with that one.

Work flow and ease of use is everything when it comes to regular testing, that's why I think spending more on helper gear is more valuable than just digital and nothing else

Dine

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the first question is what are you trying to test? What are the parameters you want to test more frequently?

For me I do salinity 1-2 max a week so I invested in a digital Milwaukee unit. It’s not necessarily as accurate as others but since I’m testing frequently I value the convenience and shoot for stability in the number over a precise number. I also use Hannah for phosphate and nitrate as I test those 1-2x a week. Again convenience and consistency.

ammonia, nitrite, etc I never test. So there’s a few strip/color tests laying around just in case. But I wouldn’t invest much money here.

I use all for reef which means I’m dozing based on DKH. Now I do have a trident that monitors alk, calcium, and mag but I invested in a Hannah alk test to verify the tridents readings from time to time. Since I’m dosing based on alk I did not invest in additional calcium or magnesium tests. The trident spits out numbers but I’m really looking at stability not what the number actually is.

the investment should be based on what makes your life easier imo. If it’s easy you will test, if it’s a pain you won’t. I’ll sacrifice some accuracy for convenience in this hobby because weekly decent accuracy is better than having a super accurate test you never actually do.

jda

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refractomer with calibration fluid. Thermometer with mercury in it (at least for a double check). Salifert alk and calcium. This is all that I use regularly.

Hannah for Phosphorous/Phosphate if you want. Salifert for Nitrate is fine. You can also just have the LFS test these, although Salifert are not expensive.

pH pen and some calibration fluid if you want to worry about pH. I do not recommend it.

Save the rest for salt and just change water instead of messing with other elements.

nothing_fancy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya as other have mention, hanna high range nitrate, hanna ULR phosphate, are the two I use the most, after that hanna for alk and good to have a salifert as a backup for that. Definitely can't overlook good salinity checkers. The hanna digital tester is good if you also have a backup. I really like the tropic Marin float hydrometer to double check salinity.

Eric R.

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would second that whatever you get, having a nice glass floating hydrometer (tropic marin makes a good one that's not expensive) to make sure the calibration is accurate on your refractometer is worthwhile.

Avast

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back