What soft coral would you put in? Looking for recommendations!

Max19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5210.jpeg

Hello everyone, today is like to ask for some advice. Looking for beginner friendly soft corals to put in the red outlined area. Really looking for something shorter so I can still see the gsp in the back and so it doesn’t shadow the ricordea mushrooms. Really I’m just looking for ideas that I may implement, this space feels really empty and if I can get something that fills in nicely and doesn’t take over the tank/kill neighboring corals I’ll be happy. Any and all suggestions are welcome, and I’d like to hear all of your suggestions! IMG_5211.jpeg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about gorgonians? They shouldn't shade other corals too much. There really isn't anything short that won't take over a rock (zoas, mushrooms, palys).

OP
OP
Max19

Max19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about gorgonians? They shouldn't shade other corals too much. There really isn't anything short that won't take over a rock (zoas, mushrooms, palys).
I think that’s a pretty interesting idea, especially for that corner that gets a lot of flow, a fan shaped gorgonion could be cool. Thanks for the suggestion!

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I enjoy the movement in tanks. Gorgonian, organ-pipe, maybe mushrooms. Great negative space you’ve created

OP
OP
Max19

Max19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I enjoy the movement in tanks. Gorgonian, organ-pipe, maybe mushrooms. Great negative space you’ve created
Thank you! Movement in the tank is really beautiful and that’s why I’ve got the toadstools and the colt and gsp. and one day I want a tank solely for pulsing Xenia I think that would be awesome.

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgonias in the back

Fireworks polyps look cool. GSP on the back wall

Japanese willow neon mushrooms

Cool pretty inexpensive zoas spread around on the rocks

Whatever else you think looks cool

I know you said soft, but euphyllia are easy care in a softy tank. Neon yellow candycanes, purple candycanes Duncan's.

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgonias in the back

I know you said soft, but euphyllia are easy care in a softy tank. Neon yellow candycanes, purple candycanes Duncan's.
Totally agree GSP on back wall and firework cloves

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you get photosynthetic gorgonian unless you’re willing to spot feed it a few times a week forever. If the colors are bright it’s probably not photosynthetic. Purples, pinks, browns are good. They are so beautiful though!
Yes, this

Pretty sure price delineate them as well, not just light and feesing. At least it used to

I once got a gorgonia that had a Flamingo Tongue snail hitchhiker

It was such a cool animal, I bought cheap gorgonias to feed it. It eventually died for no reason that I knew of
1000004492.jpg

OP
OP
Max19

Max19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgonias in the back

Wait candy canes come in neon yellow? I might need to look into that

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seconding gorgonians. Grown in gorg colonies in high flow grown from small frags end up with incredibly beautiful natural patterns. This was grown from a half inch single stem over the course of about a year. My advice would be get the bog standard brownish purple gorgonian you see everywhere. Bulletproof, fast growing, easy to trim/control, and the way it grows in like I said in high flow is just gorgeous
1000008322.jpg

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait candy canes come in neon yellow? I might need to look into that
Yes

Relatively fast growers when you feed them

They open up at night about 2 am. Fill them up with PEmysis or similar

Or you don't have to feed them either, if you don't want.

I like feeding them, myself

1000004493.jpg
1000004494.jpg

These are not mine, I just grabbed them from an image search

OP
OP
Max19

Max19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you get photosynthetic gorgonian unless you’re willing to spot feed it a few times a week forever. If the colors are bright it’s probably not photosynthetic. Purples, pinks, browns are good. They are so beautiful though!
Do you have experience with photosynthetic gorgonians? I know that gorgonians need phytoplankton, and I have a feather duster that I dose phyto every 2 days, but my main worry is what to do if I ever go on a trip, let’s say for 2 weeks. I’m just wondering how often I would need to feed them.

OP
OP
Max19

Max19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seconding gorgonians. Grown in gorg colonies in high flow grown from small frags end up with incredibly beautiful natural patterns. This was grown from a half inch single stem over the course of about a year. My advice would be get the bog standard brownish purple gorgonian you see everywhere. Bulletproof, fast growing, easy to trim/control, and the way it grows in like I said in high flow is just gorgeous
1000008322.jpg
Hi cthulu, I love how it looks and I bet it adds a ton of movement! How often do you have to feed it phyto? My main concern is going on vacation and it dying

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have experience with photosynthetic gorgonians? I know that gorgonians need phytoplankton, and I have a feather duster that I dose phyto every 2 days, but my main worry is what to do if I ever go on a trip, let’s say for 2 weeks. I’m just wondering how often I would need to feed them.
Not who you asked, but photosynthetic gorgs don't REALLY need phyto or tiny meaty pod foods like baby brine shrimp or cyclopeze, but that can make them grow a bit faster. I feed mine occasionally, but it would take an act of God to kill the photosynthetic gorg in my picture I sent. They're as hardy as corals come, and they don't drop limbs, so they're easy to control. They just encrust very slowly, so the hardest part is actually getting them fully attached to a rock. Some photosynthetic gorgs can be a little more finicky about flow and phyto/pod feedings, but they're all doable without them.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi cthulu, I love how it looks and I bet it adds a ton of movement! How often do you have to feed it phyto? My main concern is going on vacation and it dying
Clearly I was eager to respond lol. Like in my other post, I more or less never feed phyto, and I feed meaty food of their mouth size maybe a couple times a week. They definitely exhibit a feeding response, but really you don't have to feed them at all. Wouldn't be concerned about it.

OP
OP
Max19

Max19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not who you asked, but photosynthetic gorgs don't REALLY need phyto or tiny meaty pod foods like baby brine shrimp or cyclopeze, but that can make them grow a bit faster. I feed mine occasionally, but it would take an act of God to kill the photosynthetic gorg in my picture I sent. They're as hardy as corals come, and they don't drop limbs, so they're easy to control. They just encrust very slowly, so the hardest part is actually getting them fully attached to a rock. Some photosynthetic gorgs can be a little more finicky about flow and phyto/pod feedings, but they're all doable without them.
I thought they all needed phyto dosing! This is great news. Now that I don’t have to worry about that, I’m totally on board for easy gorgonians!

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought they all needed phyto dosing! This is great news. Now that I don’t have to worry about that, I’m totally on board for easy gorgonians!
Here are some easy frag photo references for your shopping of what is usually available at fish stores.

Tier 1 (literally anybody can grow it):
1727980442059.jpeg

That is the 1 I have. Grows like crazy. Can be anywhere from that fuzzy to how fuzzy mine is depending on how happy it is.

Tier 2 (I recommend as they are photosynthetic and pretty easy but a little more demanding than the easy 1):
1727980620447.jpeg

I also have this one here is a larger colony. It can be sold as a corky sea finger or a bunch of other things. Easiest in tier 2 imo usually does very well but some people cant grow it for whatever reason:
1000007643.jpg

1727980795258.jpeg

1727980828971.jpeg

Tier 3 (nonphotosynthetic or only mildly photosynthetic imo do not buy):
1727980897818.jpeg

1727980949285.jpeg

1727980972911.jpeg

Hope that helps!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back