Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This LR is in my sump and it has what seems to be diatoms. I was considering bleaching it. My DT doesn't have anything but I don't want it to spread. Note the algae on the glass on the right side. It also seems that the hair algae is bleached white.

So what should I do?

20230403_183048.jpg

World Wide Corals

MischiefReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that your refugium? Why not just let it be? If it were in my fuge, I’d just leave it and it compete with algae’s in your DT and just trim back and remove overgrowth from time to time. If you run a decent refugium light, you can just adjust your photo period to control growth too. I don’t think it will spread to DT assuming no nutrient spikes etc.

OP
OP
Rugops

Rugops

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that your refugium? Why not just let it be? If it were in my fuge, I’d just leave it and it compete with algae’s in your DT and just trim back and remove overgrowth from time to time. If you run a decent refugium light, you can just adjust your photo period to control growth too. I don’t think it will spread to DT assuming no nutrient spikes etc.
It is my refugium. I see a little bit of diatoms in the DT but it isn't much. I was going to let it be but I didn't it to get out of control. Perhaps the pods will eat it.

World Wide Corals

MischiefReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d missed the detail in your first post where you said some of the algae has turned white. Justin Credable (Grabel) from BRSTv did a talk on coral fragging and dipping at Macna (2016?) that included a note on this. From my understanding this usually indicates the algae may have already been treated with something like hydrogen peroxide or an algaecide and the white algae is actually dead and denatured algae. I’ve also heard that this form of algae is dead/no longer growing and that livestock will break it down and eat it over time.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquatic Life TDS Pen Offer
Back