Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi All! I have a question regarding salt… I use coralife and every time I did a water change my alk went to 9.1 and I really want to keep it at 8… didn’t notice this until start testing after water change.. do I need to just keep it like this jumping 1dkh every time water change or I should change my salt? And is there any recommendation for salt that just do 7-8 dkh? Thank you fellow Reefers!

AquaCave Logo Banner

Lionfish hunter

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All! I have a question regarding salt… I use coralife and every time I did a water change my alk went to 9.1 and I really want to keep it at 8… didn’t notice this until start testing after water change.. do I need to just keep it like this jumping 1dkh every time water change or I should change my salt? And is there any recommendation for salt that just do 7-8 dkh? Thank you fellow Reefers!
If you raise your alk(slowly). Then you can use instant ocean and save yourself a ton of money because it works as good as others and has produced insane tanks.

Top Shelf Aquatics

maleks.reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do want to keep at 8 instead of 9.1
Why is that? 1 dkh difference will not produce any crazy result and it is definitely not worth changing salts and potentially shocking your tank. Most reefers strive for 9+ alk anyway.

If you insist on changing salt though, i would suggest finding something readily available near your and is affordable for you. You can find the alk, Ca, and Mg content of each type of salt on their websites. Personally, I use red sea blue box.

OP
OP
hvalentino

hvalentino

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why is that? 1 dkh difference will not produce any crazy result and it is definitely not worth changing salts and potentially shocking your tank. Most reefers strive for 9+ alk anyway.

If you insist on changing salt though, i would suggest finding something readily available near your and is affordable for you. You can find the alk, Ca, and Mg content of each type of salt on their websites. Personally, I use red sea blue box.
I just notice when I do 8 is better for my tank… I’ll check the blue box Red Sea, thank you so much!

OP
OP
hvalentino

hvalentino

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you raise your alk(slowly). Then you can use instant ocean and save yourself a ton of money because it works as good as others and has produced insane tanks.
I don’t want to raise, I was scared because of after doing water change went up to 9

maleks.reef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just notice when I do 8 is better for my tank… I’ll check the blue box Red Sea, thank you so much!
Research how to switch salts before doing it because you need to do it gradually. Each salt is different and you do not want to shock your corals. Good luck :)

Avast
BRS

ShawnM24

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want to raise, I was scared because of after doing water change went up to 9
Do not get caught up in chasing numbers it’s better if you do a water change and it’s 9 keep it at 9. Just my opinion going and changing salts can just cause an issue for you

ShawnM24

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I am using io rc and I am getting very high cal readings of like 500 to 520 and I do 5 gallon water changes every other week dkh is solid at 9 and doesn’t move. I am not even having to dose right now.

gbru316

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

According to a poll here, 75% here keep their alk between 8-9.

13% keep it above 9.

17% keep it below 8.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to a poll here, 75% here keep their alk between 8-9.

13% keep it above 9.

17% keep it below 8.
I had no idea this poll existed .
surprises me even more those that try to maintain nsw is the lowest percentage

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salt mixes up with higher Alk than I keep my tank, so I drop the Alk with Muriatic acid, before doing the water change.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back