What percentage of your corals have you killed?

BRS

dtruitt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just lost a montipora stellata the other day, and I'm starting to wonder if our track record is starting to look uglier than the average hobbyist. Weve got about 30 - 40 some odd corals in the tank. So far, we have killed:

Red Planet Acro - Spent a lot of time in the air on the way home from the store, dropped several times, saw an alk spike

Montipora Stellata - Saw an alk spike, maybe placed a little too high next to acroporas.

Platygyra - No clue what did it in, but it was dropped a lot and it hadn't seemed to heal completely from when it was cut.

Fireworks Favites - Started to brown jelly after changing to a chinese black box light.

The following corals are looking worse for wear:

Micro Lord - Maybe manhandled a bit too much, recession seems to have ceased following lugols dip and relocation somewhere slightly shaded.

Favia - Wicked recession from way too much light. Moved to a cave, still hanging on. Probably due for another dip.

Tequila sunrise montipora - Totally bleached. Color is coming back nicely, but still has a ways to go.

"Gojira" chalice (unknown species) - recession starting where it was cut. Simultaneously, new eyes are starting near the recession.

Platygyra - Girlfriend loved the platy, so we got another. Tissue is slowly receding on one side. Giving it lower light and flow and monitoring to determine if more changes are in order.

So out of 40+ frags, 4 have died, and 5 have been through some rough patches (even if at least two of those five are currently on the upswing).

What does everyone else's track record look like?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? Your list is all SPS/LPS. How do you dose? How do you do parameter monitoring?

Ok, now that is out of the way...why in the world would you keep track!? ;Hilarious ;Facepalm I have lost a lot in the last 5 ish years between starting my 120 gal...to upgrading to my 380 gal. I prefer soft corals, mushrooms, anemones, palys/zoas but I tried SPS/LPS back in the beginning...it was ugly. I have tried quite a few things that did well, then didn't. Don't focus too much on that, instead focus on the husbandry...you will get there.

OP
OP
dtruitt

dtruitt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? Your list is all SPS/LPS. How do you dose? How do you do parameter monitoring?

Ok, now that is out of the way...why in the world would you keep track!? ;Hilarious ;Facepalm I have lost a lot in the last 5 ish years between starting my 120 gal...to upgrading to my 380 gal. I prefer soft corals, mushrooms, anemones, palys/zoas but I tried SPS/LPS back in the beginning...it was ugly. I have tried quite a few things that did well, then didn't. Don't focus too much on that, instead focus on the husbandry...you will get there.

Tank is about 4~5 months old. Dosing by hand with lots of manual testing. Acros actually seem to be the least difficult to keep in this tank - blast them with light and flow and keep the alk within 0.5 dkh.

If I dont keep track, how will I know what needs to improve?

Seems like about a 10% death rate so far. Doesnt sound awful when put that way, but every time a coral dies I wonder whether garden variety mistakes were made, or if it's just a miracle the other 90% are still alive.

AS

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I actually never lost a coral when I had a 29g, now I just upgraded to a 75g. I only test water parameters once a month. Just give them lots of light, flow, and keep up with the water changes!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back