What % of your fish, inverts and coral did you have shipped directly to your home?

BRS

What % of your tank inhabitants were shipped to your home?

• 0% or close to it - everything was picked out at the local LFS.

Votes: 23 23.0%
  • 25% - mostly go to the LFS, but have a few shipped inhabitants.

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • 50% - close to an even split between LFS and shipped.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • 75% - mostly shipped, few inhabitants from the LFS.

Votes: 21 21.0%
  • 100% or close to it - basically everything was shipped directly to me.

Votes: 25 25.0%

• Total voters

Lebowski_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious how often people are going into their LFS' these days, compared to the ability to have things shipped direct to their home.

I don't think I've ever had any live inhabitants shipped. All my equipment comes from online where the selection is much better, but live stuff would be at 0% right now for me.

Last edited:

LiLinka

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my personal experience. Ordering online from the couch is so much easier. However I like to go into my LFS and actually see what I’m spending my money on. Pictures online can be altered/ edited and a variety of ways these days. So in my personal experience I just like to physically see what I’m spending my money on. With that being said I selected 25% because I do have some anemones purchased online.

Griev

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closest LFS to me prices as if the internet didn't exist, so I pretend their store doesn't exist. I'd love to give them my business, but they charge literally double for livestock and an average of +30% on drygoods.

OP
OP
Lebowski_

Lebowski_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my personal experience. Ordering online from the couch is so much easier. However I like to go into my LFS and actually see what I’m spending my money on. Pictures online can be altered/ edited and a variety of ways these days. So in my personal experience I just like to physically see what I’m spending my money on. With that being said I selected 25% because I do have some anemones purchased online.

I really like going to each LFS and talking shop with other hobbyists and employees. It's a social thing, we've got a little community going.

Joe462

Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most if not all of my fish are local or simi local (not shipped) but 90% of everything else is shipped to my door. I just don't like to have fish shipped very much, i guess the exception is that i do order some captively bred fish on line, again the selection of tank bred fish other than clowns is limited locally and i prefer tank bred fish. My "local" fish stores aren't that close and don't have a very good selection of coral or inverts.

lynn.reef.nerd

Review score
+4 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Oh, a good 3rd category I didn't consider!
Yes! those are generally the best. They are (most cases) healthy. I still do a QT period but not as bad as those from LFS or online.

code4

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Casper Wyoming. Local fish store is PetCo. So, no fun there really. Next closest store is in Colorado. And it is quite a drive to see if there is anything I would like. Because of this I order almost everything online.

Rugops

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only livestock I have from my LFS are fish.

I have 4% of live stock from LFS
Another 4% from online
Everything else are from hobbyists.

I never get corals from LFS or online. Too expensive and small. I got 10 heads of a green torch for $10 each head.

Mmbra

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75% for me. I have no local LFS and the closest are an hour away with a relatively poor selection. Also whenever i have requested fish or inverts specifically the owner will write my name down, but never ends up calling that he received the livestock i requested. I have had great luck so far with overnight shipping.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I buy mostly online.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm close to 90 percent now.

Maybe a fish or snails from Petco, but my better LFS's are 1 to 1.5 hours away and haven't been to the closer one in at least a year. There are better stores 3 to 4 hours away, but not into the "reef crawl" like I used to do.

I recently bought from Pacific East Aquaculture, great selection of corals and CUC in one place....I even qualified for free shipping and it's regional so my box isn't travelling too far.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
sad to say. . . . . Since last winter, I find myself buying fish online 100% for both size and savings.
I prefer to support my LFS at all costs having owned an LFS but its also hard to justify buying a fish at half the size i want at 30-40% higher in cost , when I can get larger fish at a lower cost and shipped to my door (not having to drive a 2 hour round trip) and save as much as $80-100 for a given fish

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NooPsyche CORAL LIGHT
Back