What kind of snail is this?

187ReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this snail in my 187 gallon reef tank and I am not sure what it is. I cannot find any pictures online that look like this snail. The horn on the front of him is solid and part of the shell. I am not sure if it is a good snail to have in my reef tank or not? I am only about 9 months into the reef hobby. Any help is welcome, would love to figure out what this is?

I added 1 video and 3 photos.

Thank you! Image.jpg Image (1).jpg Image (2).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1815.MOV
    32.2 MB

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this snail in my 187 gallon reef tank and I am not sure what it is. I cannot find any pictures online that look like this snail. The horn on the front of him is solid and part of the shell. I am not sure if it is a good snail to have in my reef tank or not? I am only about 9 months into the reef hobby. Any help is welcome, would love to figure out what this is?

I added 1 video and 3 photos.

Thank you! Image.jpg Image (1).jpg Image (2).jpg
Pictures under white lights is going to be needed in order to get an id.

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, stumped I don’t remember ever seeing that type of snail. Let’s get some help, @ISpeakForTheSeas ?
That's a Muricid/Murex Snail of some variety - it's predatory, and will probably eat either bivalves (clams, mussels, oysters, etc.) and/or snails.

OP
OP

187ReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a Muricid/Murex Snail of some variety - it's predatory, and will probably eat either bivalves (clams, mussels, oysters, etc.) and/or snails.
Thank you! I believe it is wiping out my snail population, I caught it on a snail the other day. I should probably get this thing out correct?

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you may be able to give it to an LFS or keep it as a sump snail if you want and just target feed it regularly, but otherwise it's not a keeper.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back