What kind of lighting would suffice for euphyllia coral in a FOWLR 65 gallon.

TrishK

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a 180 reef (3 years old) and a 65G FOWLR about 2 years old. A pair of clowns we have in this tank we’ve had about 2 1/2 years and they’ve decided to start breeding. I’m really quite surprised because all I have in the tank is live rock and the female laid the eggs on the glass. Surprisingly, daddy is doing a good job for his first time protecting them from all the other fish and getting rid of all the bad eggs. It’s my first time but I’d like to try to eventually see if I can get some to make it. I’ve done a lot of reading. I have phytoplankton cultures and rotifers and simple brine eggs so I’m prepared as far as that goes. I know when to look for them when they’ll hatch and how to scoop them out and if it doesn’t happen the first time I’m hoping they’ll lay some more, but back to my original question, I’d like to add some euphyllia to make the clowns more comfortable and to add some color and movement to the tank as well. The tank is about 24” deep with rocks not even half way up. This is the LED lights I currently have

NICREW ClassicLED Aquarium Light, Fish Tank Light with Extendable Brackets, White and Blue LEDs
I’d like the same kind of set up but something will keep the coral happy enough to grow. Any suggestions?

CocoReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with testing the par of your current light first but I used an OrbitMarine light as a budget option for softies when starting my tank and it had the same mounting design. The only issue i had was it didnt produce enough par for the lps I added later. I then upgraded to 2 AI primes and both my coral and I have been so much happier since. Plus the mounting arms are just as easy to install.

Nutramar Foods

Uncle99

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think any of the E’s type corals would sting fry as they emerged.
If your looking to try to raise fry, keep it simple.
Stick to rotifers for first 7 days, then wean to pulverized flake.
Newly hatched and deshelled brine work, but know where as good as gut packed rotifers.
If you can move the nest when the eyes go silver to a separate simple sponge fry tank, say 5g, your get 200-300.
Lights not important to fish, but fry, keep them in dim light, like a desk lamp.

OP
OP
TrishK

TrishK

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need a par meter. We have just always read our corals reactions and moved them accordingly. I really don’t plan to put anything else in this tank as it homes a lot of fish that would eat it.

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
TrishK

TrishK

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think any of the E’s type corals would sting fry as they emerged.
If your looking to try to raise fry, keep it simple.
Stick to rotifers for first 7 days, then wean to pulverized flake.
Newly hatched and deshelled brine work, but now where as good as gut packed rotifers.
If you can move the nest when the eyes go silver to a separate simple sponge fry tank, say 5g, your get 200-300.
Lights not important to fish, but fry, keep them in dim light, like a desk lamp.
Oh I want the light for adding the coral. I plan to scoop the fry out right after the hatch as I’ve read they’re known to hatch around 30 mins after lights out on the 8-10th night (really go by seeing their eyes) and with a flashlight and filters off they will swim towards the light to the top and you can scoop them up so I’m hoping I can get them before any coral would. I don’t think this first batch will produce near very many as there are only about 50 eggs now at least it seems. I have a place set up for them about 5g...low light, heat, bubble wand. And breeding tank of rotifers fed phyto. I can’t remove the eggs because they’re on the glass and read they will die if you scrape them

Attachments

• D6E802AA-667B-43D1-99E5-20DF0A20656F.jpeg
    D6E802AA-667B-43D1-99E5-20DF0A20656F.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 10

CocoReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I want the light for adding the coral. I plan to scoop the fry out right after the hatch as I’ve read they’re known to hatch around 30 mins after lights out on the 8-10th night (really go by seeing their eyes) and with a flashlight and filters off they will swim towards the light to the top and you can scoop them up so I’m hoping I can get them before any coral would. I don’t think this first batch will produce near very many as there are only about 50 eggs now at least it seems. I have a place set up for them about 5g...low light, heat, bubble wand. And breeding tank of rotifers fed phyto. I can’t remove the eggs because they’re on the glass and read they will die if you scrape them
If you add a small ceramic tile or pot you might be able to get your clowns to lay their eggs there for an easy transfer if you have a fry tank set up.
I highly recommend "Clownfishes" by Joyce Wilkerson. Its a great read and its FILLED with great clownfish rearing tips

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back