What kind is this crab and is it reef safe?

xVanchOx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
My lfs has this crab but dont know the name of it, I have only a short video of it, can you help me with his type and is it reef safe?

BarryBenthic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Calcinus gaimardii also called Gaimard's Hermit Crab. Unfortunately I cannot seem to find any info on if it is reef safe (or frankly anyone else selling them) so maybe it isn't or rare. But at least might help you find out more! Last looking some places put them in with Dwarf Hermits which are reef safe so it could be!

OP
OP
xVanchOx

xVanchOx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Calcinus gaimardii also called Gaimard's Hermit Crab. Unfortunately I cannot seem to find any info on if it is reef safe (or frankly anyone else selling them) so maybe it isn't or rare. But at least might help you find out more! Last looking some places put them in with Dwarf Hermits which are reef safe so it could be!

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ask your LFS what crab it is? I would be skeptical of an LFS that can't identify the animals they offer for sale.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hello,
My lfs has this crab but dont know the name of it, I have only a short video of it, can you help me with his type and is it reef safe?

This hermit looks similar to mine and should be safe however if in doubt- place in sump or remove

The Mushroom Man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter what kind of hermit it is, it’s never 100% reef safe, there’s always a chance they pick on corals that chance increases if they’re in a clean tank with nothing else to eat!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back