Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a Flame Angelfish that unfortunately passed in less than a day. I was wondering what killed it. I noticed that it was breathing pretty quickly and had white bubbles all over it. Attached is the best picture I could get of it, you might notice some of it on the tail. I brought the body back to the LFS and they said it did not look like velvet and I should not worry too much about my other fish if they are acting alright. I was wondering if anyone had an idea? I currently have 2 clownfish and a Midas that look like they are eating well and breathing normally i think. Should I be concerned for my other fish? Thanks for all of the help.

DDB9AC73-A570-4276-9EB6-2BA000CE73E2.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Difficult to say from the photo. I’m not sure I understand the timeline: did it die Less than a day After you brought it home? That means it was very sick when you bought it, or something went wrong with the transport/acclimation . If you had it a few days and then you saw symptoms and it died in a day, then probably Amyloodinium (velvet). Watch your other fish very closely.
Jay

OP
OP
A

Asian Hurricane

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought it from a lfs in the evening, and the next evening I noticed the symptoms. That evening is when it passed away. It looked like it had a bunch of white specs on it but when the LFS looked at the body they said they did not see any evidence of velvet. I have never seen velvet before so I am unsure if I am simply paranoid. When I looked at the dead flame as well there were no specs, but I do not know if the velvet specs disappear when the fish dies.

Nutramar Foods

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they didn’t use a microscope, they couldn’t know for sure. Improper acclimation will kill a fish in a day, but won’t create spots on the fish.
Jay

ReefGamer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was a bunch of white specs then most likely velvet and the LFS doesnt want to admit you got a fish with velvet from them. That’s what this sounds like. Either way, sorry about the loss man :( j don’t know what a dead fish who had velvet looks like though. I imagine if you had velvet already in the tank then the other fish would have had it, but I guess it’s possible.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Jay, sounds like velvet especially if you saw a bunch of white specs on the angel. Keep a close eye on your other fish for symptoms such as swimming into the flow of powerheads, rapid breathing and hiding from light.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance that if it was velvet the other fish are going to be ok? Or is it inevitable that theyll get velvet and I should start up a hospital tank right away
I’d set up a hospital tank, you can use it to quarantine new fish if you don’t end up having an outbreak.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Looks like velvet or crypto . I too would question acclimation and health of the fish when it was acquired.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AFX
Back