What is YOUR favorite way to cycle a tank?

donnieb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Relatively new to the forms but I’d like to get more involved and get to know you guys.

What is your favorite way of cycling a tank?

I have done a fish cycle, fishless cycle with food as the ammonia source, and currently setting up new tank to do a fish less cycle with ammonium chloride.
So far, fishless with food was a better option for me, but could become a bit messy so I think doing it with ammonium chloride will be my favorite! Let’s see what you guys think

OP
OP
D

donnieb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishless, sand and rock + fritz turbostart. I swear by Fritz products.
I was looking into a new brand of products for this cycle. Did seachem first (hated it) did microbe-lift (decent I thought, but have heard mixed opinions.) I’ll have to check some of their stuff out!

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishless with any kind of rock, starter bacteria, and a raw shrimp. I wait until the shrimp is dissolved then add more bacteria and another shrimp. No lights or skimmer running. About three weeks using dry rock.

OP
OP
D

donnieb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishless with any kind of rock, starter bacteria, and a raw shrimp. I wait until the shrimp is dissolved then add more bacteria and another shrimp. No lights or skimmer running. About three weeks using dry rock.
I’ve always considered the shrimp way I’ve heard good things about it!

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up new 150g, I did bottled bacteria with dry everything and after a few days put in a low fish load and slowly added more.

Always did fish less before but my fish were waiting cramped in a 40g. I didn’t transfer any rock but a few corals and some macro. The original live rock I’m using for something else.

Anywho it worked great. I did substrate sauce and fritz 9 for bottled stuff.

I used to just throw in some fish food if doing fishless. It doesn’t really matter what you use, shrimp, pellets, it all produces ammonia.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always considered the shrimp way I’ve heard good things about it!
I use an ammonia alert badge for testing. I can watch ammonia go up, then fade away. I don’t bother testing nitrite or nitrate while cycling. I do a 50% water change afterwards, then turn on the lights to begin the diatom bloom if using dry rock.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Main thing is to seed some pods when the diatom/algae starts. They are great cuc. Doesn’t have to be an expensive bottle, could add them on live rubble/rock/whatever.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just through in a couple clowns and let it go . Chances are they will out live your tank anyway. And if you kill a clown fish you should not be in saltwater.

OP
OP
D

donnieb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an ammonia alert badge for testing. I can watch ammonia go up, then fade away. I don’t bother testing nitrite or nitrate while cycling. I do a 50% water change afterwards, then turn on the lights to begin the diatom bloom if using dry rock.
Very simple I like it lol

OP
OP
D

donnieb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just through in a couple clowns and let it go . Chances are they will out live your tank anyway. And if you kill a clown fish you should not be in saltwater.
Had a snail die in my old freshly cycled 20 gallon with a clownfish. Sat in there for a bit before I realized it was dead, crashed the water levels and the clownfish thrived! Lol

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always fishless!
Nowadays I add new rocks to my sump for some time if I'm preparing a new build.

I once kept a 20 gallon damsel fish only tank for almost 2 years just for the purpose of bringing dry rocks to life.

OP
OP
D

donnieb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Live rock, day 2 corals, fish day 3….
So I’ve looked into doing a reef tank next, I’ve heard most people tell me to wait until tank is very well established to add corals/anemones. Did I just misunderstand and it’s just anemones I should wait on?

OP
OP
D

donnieb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always fishless!
Nowadays I add new rocks to my sump for some time if I'm preparing a new build.

I once kept a 20 gallon damsel fish only tank for almost 2 years just for the purpose of bringing dry rocks to life.
Would love to do this but currently going through an ich outbreak in my DT :/

CHSUB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve looked into doing a reef tank next, I’ve heard most people tell me to wait until tank is very well established to add corals/anemones. Did I just misunderstand and it’s just anemones I should wait on?
Been doing this for while, added anemone 2nd week; but if ask would advise to wait.
I’m 5 months in now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 40

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back