What is this thing growing on my zoa colony?

Lurchin_Urchin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed this black spiral shaped thing on my zoa a while ago. I tried to take it off but it's on there REALLY good. It's also very hard. I'm pretty sure it's some sort of tube forming creature but I've never seen anything poking out of it. It seems to have slowly grown over the last week or two. Any ideas?

Ps I had just gotten done feeding the tank when I took the picture. They usually stay open, but I have noticed they've not been growing as fast as the other colonies I have are.

1000007780.jpg
1000007784.jpg

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got those in my old reef tank and didn’t take care of them early because i didn’t think they were a pest. eventually, they were all over my tank (i fed really heavy which promotes reproduction). my zoas and torches would close up because of the stringy slime they put out into the water. as mentioned above, crush it and superglue the remains. F-aptasia would only work if it’s left on long enough to fully suffocate the snail in the tube and as long as it’s strong enough to keep the snail from growing back through it. superglue is more certain to keep it from coming back, but also more permanent in terms of future removal. zoas will grow over it eventually

OP
OP
Lurchin_Urchin

Lurchin_Urchin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vermetid snails, they can irritate coral. I would crush or put superglue over the hole
Do you think filling it with F-aptaisia?
i got those in my old reef tank and didn’t take care of them early because i didn’t think they were a pest. eventually, they were all over my tank (i fed really heavy which promotes reproduction). my zoas and torches would close up because of the stringy slime they put out into the water. as mentioned above, crush it and superglue the remains. F-aptasia would only work if it’s left on long enough to fully suffocate the snail in the tube and as long as it’s strong enough to keep the snail from growing back through it. superglue is more certain to keep it from coming back, but also more permanent in terms of future removal. zoas will grow over it eventually
Can you use any type of super glue? Is there any particular way it should be administered? I would have thought super glue would be super toxic to put into the water. Maybe applying it with the F-aptaisia syringe?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think filling it with F-aptaisia would work?
I dont think so, you'd probably end up affecting the zoas as well with aptasia x. You can use any super glue that has cyanoacrylate, the gel ones are easy to work with.

Srfnhooker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think filling it with F-aptaisia?

Can you use any type of super glue? Is there any particular way it should be administered? I would have thought super glue would be super toxic to put into the water. Maybe applying it with the F-aptaisia syringe?
I use superglue gel from the dollar tree. It's cheap and works great. 2 tubes for less than 2 bucks. You'll want to use the little metal tubes if using underwater, a bottle of superglue can suck water back in and ruin the rest of the glue. It's not toxic to the reef. I use it on every frag in my tank. A dab of glue, a small ball of epoxy, followed by a dab of glue. Smush into place.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back