What is this stuff on my rocks

N0x10c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all, I've had my reef for a few months now, and this substance has started growing on the rocks and glass. I've read in other places that it's diatoms, so I started to reduce silicates in the tank by adding GFO. I'm wondering if that's going to help with this. Any thoughts on this would be helpful.

IMG_5764.jpeg

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few months

Young tank, I'd be careful adding things to correct a problem that may or may not even be a problem. Sounds like you are unsure and IMO the last thing a person should do is start adding stuff to correct unknowns. Again JMO but I think the best thing to do is step back and give the tank time to mature and come into its own and not try to force things. There will be varying stages until a year or so goes by. Those stages can be prolonged if they are delayed by intervention from the reefer.
Also I'm not sure of gfo reducing silicates but I may be wrong. It will reduce PO4 and actually strip it if your not careful which creates a whole new set of problems.

Last edited:

BriDroid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just the next step to tank maturity. I'm in the same boat right now. Mine's not as bad as yours, but the hair algae is starting to form. I have a CUC that takes care of some of it, the rest I try to manually remove. Like all things reef, this will pass as the tank matures. At least that is what everyone is telling me :)

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back