What is this stringy stuff on my live rock?

BRS

Michaelrisucci

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a stringy, mucus like substance on only my live rocks. It seems too stringy to be Dino to me, but the color is similar. Some parts are clear and others are a rust brown. I lost all of my fish last week, and thought I found the issue, but I was wrong. Can anyone tell me what this is and if it could be a reason my fish are dying. Thanks.

8AC7BAB7-CB5F-4609-930D-887E0A230021.jpeg

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is a stringy, mucus like substance on only my live rocks. It seems too stringy to be Dino to me, but the color is similar. Some parts are clear and others are a rust brown. I lost all of my fish last week, and thought I found the issue, but I was wrong. Can anyone tell me what this is and if it could be a reason my fish are dying. Thanks.

View attachment 3085933
Possibly vermetid snails they release a mucus string need photos under white lighting

MinnieMouse2

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have bubbles on your rocks? I would say the beginning of dinoflagellates. Start testing to see what nutrients you have in the tank. You should see a little phos and at least 5ppm of nitrates. If you are getting zeros, time to read up on how to stop dino. If you catch it early, you might not get the long battle a lot of us have gone through.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost all of my fish last week, and thought I found the issue, but I was wrong. Can anyone tell me what this is and if it could be a reason my fish are dying. Thanks.
That small amount of growth is not the reason you lost fish.
The bubbles suggest photosynthetic, the stringiness makes dinos or cyano or a combo likely.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aquatic Life TDS Pen Offer
Back