What is this? I have no idea.. good or bad?

Deltec

daniel_mourra

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently discovered these 3 things in my FALLOW 175 gal tank…. Tank has been fallow for 1 month now… 6 weeks to go….

Amonia 0.0 ppm
Nitrite 0.0 ppm
Nitrate 5ppm
Phosphate 0.01 ppm
Kh 11.0
Calcium 385
Magnesium 1110

i have noticed:
A) New white spots all iver the rocks and back panel… what are these?
B) Small round smushy snail like balls stuck to the back panel and overflow and sump….
C) Small copepod like creeatures.. some look like copepods others like small worms… are these good or bad?
D) Small brown tube like sticks in many rocks….

See the pictures that match each “creature” by the letter…

Any suggestion? @Jay Hemdal you are my go to guy now

530EB09E-5688-4822-9898-B16595F10FB6.jpeg 7CD15259-10F9-428E-ABA9-BA5B944A9C97.jpeg 4731ADCF-BC53-402B-ADFB-EE30EFB69122.jpeg 19DADDAD-70C2-40BB-ACAE-54A8AB59F7D2.jpeg

AquaCave Logo Banner
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
daniel_mourra

daniel_mourra

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A) spirobid worms = good

B) unclear picture. Maybe flatworms?

C) pods and feather duster tube = good

D). Vermetid snails = bad
A) why are they good?
B) Anither post suggested PINEAPPLE SPONGES and googled them and they are 100% exactly what I have… any suggestion? Good or bad?
C) Advantages?
D) How do i remove them?

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
daniel_mourra

daniel_mourra

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think b) is pineapple sponges? I believe they have started growing in mass in my sump and look similar to the top right circle in that picture.

FS
100% pineapple sponges! I just googled pictures and that is 100% what they are.. are they good or bad?

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
100% pineapple sponges! I just googled pictures and that is 100% what they are.. are they good or bad?
Basically good because they are filter feeders, so they remove stuff from the water. This applies for pineapple sponges, spirobid worms, and pods help eat detritus and algae.

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A) why are they good?
B) Anither post suggested PINEAPPLE SPONGES and googled them and they are 100% exactly what I have… any suggestion? Good or bad?
C) Advantages?
D) How do i remove them?
Spirorbids, feather dusters, and pineapple sponges are harmless filter feeders (pineapple sponges typically boom then bust in population in newer tanks, eventually going away on their own). Pods are considered good CUC and good fish food.

For the vermetids, these are some of the suggestions I’ve seen:
ISpeakForTheSeas said:
I’ve heard mixed reviews on the super glue method (but, most methods get mixed reviews with Vermetids).

For the vermetids, some people report success with emerald crabs, bumblebee snails, coral snow (there's a DIY recipe on here somewhere for this that's super cheap - I believe it's made from chalk), etc.

Probably the best results I’ve seen with small numbers of vermetids come from crushing the tube and setting a predator (like an emerald crab or a bumblebee snail) by the crushed tube immediately after.

The following may be helpful too:
ISpeakForTheSeas said:
Can’t tell for sure from the pics, but looks like either vermetid snails or spionid worms. Some people swear by bumblebee snails for vermetids, others say they’re useless, and still more say they’re effective but only over long periods of time (like 8+ months long). It may depend of the species of vermetid you have.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Deltec
Back