Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I'm new to reefing tank has been running since January 2023. I have this algae that keeps growing and coming back I've been trying to manually remove it but it's tough to get everything. It's covering my clove polyps mainly. I've attached a video any help identifying what it is and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20230515_113123.mp4
    25.1 MB

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about trying to get rid of everything all at once. It looks like you used only dry rock to set up your system or maybe rock with just basic nitryfing bacteria added. If so I'd suggest you read aquabiomics article on establishing a healthy microbiome. If indeed you did not use any wild or maricultured live rock (GulfLiveRock, TampBay or KP Aquatics) I would suggest youi get some, even a few peices will help introduce stuff that can't be cultured and stuck in a bottle. I would start doing water changes 2 - 4 times a month totalling only 20-30% monthly. See the below videos for using straws and paper towels for remvoing nuisance algae. Short Spine Urchins are great for scouring the "holdfasts" or cleaning alage off to bare rock. My favorites are Tuxedo and caribean short spine pink urchins. Sallylightfoot crabs and thin stripe hermits also work well for me.

Here's some links, don't try to watch thenm all at once and go back and review them after a few weeks: ROhwer's book has a section on the equilibrium of reef ecosystems and how small variable can have significant influence you might find informative.

Steel Straws

Paper towels for algae

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title (Paper back is ~$20, Kindle is ~$10), both deal with the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Microbial view of Coral Decline

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

DNA Sequencing and the Reef Tank Microbiome

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

15 Answers

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rporter996

rporter996

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're saying just kinda remove the big stuff manually and let everything else do its thing. Yes I used dry marco rock. I'm mainly concerned with it taking over my clove polyps. I have a good amount of different snails a couple blue legged hermits and an emerald crab. I've also been dosing copepods every month or so

Upvote 0

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd keep manually remvoing the algae using steel straws weekly or every ohter week. The shails and hermits you have are fine but they're not as aggressive as urchins or crabs I listed (I wouldn't mix sally lightfoot crabs with emerald crabs though.) You system is only about halfway through the maturing process and adding live rock and remvoing algae consistantly will help it through the process. DOn't be afraid to add easy corals at theis point as they will help comptete withthe algae for nutrients.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rporter996

rporter996

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd keep manually remvoing the algae using steel straws weekly or every ohter week. The shails and hermits you have are fine but they're not as aggressive as urchins or crabs I listed (I wouldn't mix sally lightfoot crabs with emerald crabs though.) You system is only about halfway through the maturing process and adding live rock and remvoing algae consistantly will help it through the process. DOn't be afraid to add easy corals at theis point as they will help comptete withthe algae for nutrients.
Okay thank you so I guess this is just part of the process from what I understand, I do have some corals. A toadstool leather, hammer, clove polyps and some green star polyps. They're all opened up and happy looking I'm just concerned like I said I don't want the algae to take over.

Upvote 0
Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Kessil
Back