What is the best online vendor to purchase Blue/Green Chromis?

BRS
Top Shelf Aquatics

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a school of Blue/Green chromis, but I have no lfs near me. Is there anywhere where I can purchase quality chromis?
Survival rate from shipping sucks.. they’re hard to keep from a store.. I had 12 shipped to me last week.. 3 were dead in the bag and within a week I lost 5 more.. I currently have 4 and not sure how many of those will make it long term..

OP
OP
EgotisticObeseChihuahua

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Survival rate from shipping sucks.. they’re hard to keep from a store.. I had 12 shipped to me last week.. 3 were dead in the bag and within a week I lost 5 more.. I currently have 4 and not sure how many of those will make it long term..
Dang, that sucks. My closest lfs is one hour and thirty mins away. All 6 made the ride but the stress was hard on them… only 2 made it

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have usually bought double what I want to keep. Chromis just dont ship well also the high propensity for uronema dosent help either. Never ordered online, but Ive had a +-50 percent survival rate over the years. I had one pair that would spawn regularly and they lasted about 10 years between them. Otherwise they are a meh fish now (too expensive for what you get). I miss getting them at 2-3 bucks a pop and 15 fish for 20 bucks.

OP
OP
EgotisticObeseChihuahua

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have usually bought double what I want to keep. Chromes just dont ship well. Never ordered online, but Ive had a +-50 percent survival rate over the years. I had one pair that would spawn regularly and they lasted about 10 years between them. Otherwise they are a meh fish now (too expenaive for what you get). I miss getting them at 2-3 bucks a pop and 15 fish for 20 bucks.
Ok thank you!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pre-Quarantined chromis will ship a bit better, and you won’t see as much of a die-off from Uronema as you see with freshly imported fish. If you can find larger ones from Fiji or East Africa, they tend to be sturdier, but cost a lot more.
Tiny green chromis from SE Asia are just handled so poorly that the losses end up being too high for me.
Jay

BRS

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones I have been seeing around here look terrible. I wanted a group of tiny ones to grow out hoping they wouldn't kill each other off like the larger ones I've bought in the past but all the ones I see there are always several that look like they have uronema, red hemorrhaging their sides.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Southwest Aquaculture - a coral lover's dream!
Back