What is something you never thought you’d have in your tank?

BRS

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether it’s a coral, fish, or invert, what is something you never thought you’d have in your tank?

Well, I was brand new to reefing 10ish years ago. I always saw these impossible to keep fish in LFSs and most of them were starving. Well, 10 years on and I finally got a hold of a beautiful sized Synchiropus picturatus. This was an unintentional gift from my LFS and she’s beautiful, the green rim to the spots just glow under bluer lighting.

670442F4-876B-4F67-A514-1DFFD89E1B40.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether it’s a coral, fish, or invert, what is something you never thought you’d have in your tank?

Well, I was brand new to reefing 10ish years ago. I always saw these impossible to keep fish in LFSs and most of them were starving. Well, 10 years on and I finally got a hold of a beautiful sized Synchiropus picturatus. This was an unintentional gift from my LFS and she’s beautiful, the green rim to the spots just glow under bluer lighting.

View attachment 3102515
As you know already I'd say my Greissenger Goby since they're so rare...so happy to have him in his own little dedicated tank!

c_healy

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d have to say my earls fairy wrasse. I remember seeing a photo of one on here when I got in the hobby and seeing what it cost. Never thought I’d get to the point in my life where I could spend that on a little fish. Haha

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d have to say my earls fairy wrasse. I remember seeing a photo of one on here when I got in the hobby and seeing what it cost. Never thought I’d get to the point in my life where I could spend that on a little fish. Haha
That I understand, I’m a firm wrasse lover but dang Earlei is just ‘a bit’ out of my price range haha

c_healy

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That I understand, I’m a firm wrasse lover but dang Earlei is just ‘a bit’ out of my price range haha
Yea, I recognize your name from the wrasse lovers thread. I actually got him for a really good deal but he’s still my most expensive fish and probably always will be. With the life spans of them, it’s just hard to swallow that price tag.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Stupidkitty84

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 3102515
I started in the hobby in September 2007, to be exact. Cycled and added my first clownfish pair in October 2007 (one of which is still alive and just bred/laid her 2nd batch of eggs for this year). Fast forward to 2008-2009, I would purchase these gorgeous $20 green mandarin gobies, 1 after the other, with little to no care instruction by my LFS. They would sadly starve to death within 3-4 weeks. I decided to retry in January 2023 with all the information I gathered online and I'm here to say my female green mandarin is thriving. She's got a fat belly. I'm feeding live baby brine shrimp twice a day. I seeded the tank heavy for 2 months prior to her arrival and seeding the tank with Algaebarn Ecopods, Tig, and/or Apocyclops pods every 4 weeks since. Dosing phytoplankton every other day to cultivate/enrich the pod colonies. My only regret is allowing amphipods in the tank. They definitely reduce the copepod population. Amphipods have benefits in their own right but not in a tank with a strict copepod eater.

Jatchetto

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 3102515
A gorilla crab nothings working

World Wide Corals

shcrimps

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never thought i’d have a capuchin monkey in my tank. so far i’m still right on that

but seriously never could’ve imagined that i would end up with a nice big hammer/frogspawn garden, unfathomable when i started the hobby but as time went on and i collected more

PeterC99

Living The Reef
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harlequin Shrimp. Have always had asterinas and wanted to get rid of them. After putting the Harlequin Shrimp in the aquarium, I seeing many more asterinas - I hope that’s a good thing?

1682294648186.jpeg

EricR

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral -- never thought I'd go down that road but, uhhhh...

Chitons -- never saw one (EVER) and now I have a handful.
*don't understand how as I hadn't added a coral/invert for over 7 months but???

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
ME . . . . . .

1682471758365.png

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aquariums Wholesale Live coral auctions every week
Back