Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this open brain coral for over a month now. Usually just the two sides have been folded in slightly and looked normal... but now the right side is folding up almost looking like it is closing on that side. second pic shows it has slight skeletal damage on that side from a fish picking at it in a previous tank (then was rehomed to me where it has been fully open and safe for over a month). Is it just being funky the last few days or should I worry?
IMG_5437.jpg
IMG_5436.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_5438.MOV
    15 MB
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks healthy and inflated. Based on the amount of jiggle, in guessing the flow is picking up that right side.
Thank you. I did lower the flow to the lowest it can go but I also changed the positioning of the wavemaker so I'll try to adjust it to prevent lifting up that side. I'm just glad it is healthy lol

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually lowered the flow from when it was originally in the tank. Here is a video showing the flow- to me it looks okay but let me know
Hard to tell from the video. I would need to see the sway of other nearby corals also but my trachys have done stuff like this before also being a little closed for a day or two. I have 3 in my tank and they ae on the bottom similiar to yours with low flow and 125 to 150 par. I dont direct feed them just broadcast them. my biggest one is in the back corner of the tank though so low flow and low par and it is at least 8 inches or more around now having grown in that spot.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind you don't want to change the flow in your entire tank just to make that one coral happy.

You can often use the position of the coral, and the sand around it to help it stay layed out. There's a decent gap under there. If you bury the disk a bit, it should help it not get caught up by flow going under and lifting.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the video. I would need to see the sway of other nearby corals also but my trachys have done stuff like this before also being a little closed for a day or two. I have 3 in my tank and they ae on the bottom similiar to yours with low flow and 125 to 150 par. I dont direct feed them just broadcast them. my biggest one is in the back corner of the tank though so low flow and low par and it is at least 8 inches or more around now having grown in that spot.
Here is a hammer beside it if it helps. If I turn off my wavemaker (which is creating most flow at the bottom of my tank) it doesn’t drop that side, unless I have to wait a while.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    17.2 MB
OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind you don't want to change the flow in your entire tank just to make that one coral happy.

You can often use the position of the coral, and the sand around it to help it stay layed out. There's a decent gap under there. If you bury the disk a bit, it should help it not get caught up by flow going under and lifting.
I’m going to be gluing some corals to rocks today so I’ll try to bury the disk in more. I’ve been messing with the flow the last few days so that could be it haha

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a hammer beside it if it helps. If I turn off my wavemaker (which is creating most flow at the bottom of my tank) it doesn’t drop that side, unless I have to wait a while.
Flow seems ok. I think sauce is right just bury the base disc a little.

CLICK TO VIEW

Tcook

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is flow hitting the side of the tank, deflecting down, then lifting the trachy. It isn't always speed of the water but volume. You could place a small rock with other corals/zoas between the trachy and the side of the tank.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is flow hitting the side of the tank, deflecting down, then lifting the trachy. It isn't always speed of the water but volume. You could place a small rock with other corals/zoas between the trachy and the side of the tank.
Thank you! I tried burying the disc more so I'll check tomorrow when the corals open back up. If not I'll try to move another rock of zoas between it. Thank you :)

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Pacific East
Back