Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4.8g DeskMate Eshopps bundle and will be receiving my corals tomorrow. Most are LPS which claim to require low to medium flow. I'm not really sure how to determine what that is, though. I am also using a Sicce Syncra Nano instead of the default from the bundle.

Given the above parameters, how would I achieve low-medium flow besides low coral placement? What setting should my Sicce be set to? Should it be set to medium? High? Should it be angled level with the top of the tank, or should it be tilted down? I'm a little bit lost for determining the correct flow rate for these corals, as low to medium feels ambiguous, especially without understanding how GPH for my Success translates in a 4.8g tank like mine. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

AS

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't go by GPH as much as just by watching the coral. LPS and other fleshy coral just don't like to be blasted.....just adjust position (of both the pumps and the coral) or speed to allow the coral to have movement without the flesh being ripped off.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4.8g DeskMate Eshopps bundle and will be receiving my corals tomorrow. Most are LPS which claim to require low to medium flow. I'm not really sure how to determine what that is, though. I am also using a Sicce Syncra Nano instead of the default from the bundle.

Given the above parameters, how would I achieve low-medium flow besides low coral placement? What setting should my Sicce be set to? Should it be set to medium? High? Should it be angled level with the top of the tank, or should it be tilted down? I'm a little bit lost for determining the correct flow rate for these corals, as low to medium feels ambiguous, especially without understanding how GPH for my Success translates in a 4.8g tank like mine. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
In my case I just angled my power head to be almost level. Until I saw very little movement from coral

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Regardless of tank size, visual clues are always more important than flow rates. It’s a great thing that a site like this is around as some of us learned about keeping various corals and fish through trial and error. Unfortunately, error very often led to loss. As has been mentioned, find places the corals where there is not much water movement. This, of course, will depend on nozzle placement and rock structure. You may find you will have to do some tweaking but at 4.8g it could prove to be fun!

OP
OP
T

testuser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the great answers, and general consensus! All excellent points, and I will play with the parameters as I place the corals in the tank and watch how they react. Thanks again!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Join the movement!
Back