Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep finding bristle worms in my tank. The biggest was only the size of a grain of rice so far but I want to control the problem ASAP. Is there an invert of some sort that would eat them? Whenever I think there gone I find new ones a while later.

Nutramar Foods

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep finding bristle worms in my tank. The biggest was only the size of a grain of rice so far but I want to control the problem ASAP. Is there an invert of some sort that would eat them? Whenever I think there gone I find new ones a while later.
The banded coral shrimps eat them - If there isn’t so many then just leave them, they are excellent CUC members. A lot of people get rid of them/Control them sooner because they’re seen as unwanted but really you want them for things like detritus

OP
OP
A

Aboynamedsous2

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The banded coral shrimps eat them - If there isn’t so many then just leave them, they are excellent CUC members. A lot of people get rid of them/Control them sooner because they’re seen as unwanted but really you want them for things like detritus
I wasn’t gonna worry but they seem attracted to my caulestrea colony I keep find them stuck on polyps. I’m afraid they might wanna eat it even though it’s perfectly healthy.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Theulli

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no first hand knowledge on if these work but here is one claiming to:

Nutramar Foods

A Young reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually wont recommend both arrow crabs nor the banded coral shrimp , i know that you wanted an invert but I would recommend some sort of wrasse like :
  • yellow Coris Wrasse
  • Melanurus Wrasse
  • Six Line wrasse (could be aggressive)

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a coral branded shrimp and didn’t have much luck 3 years ago. People also suggest arrow crabs but again no luck for me with that. I ended up upgrading tanks. Got new LR and let my other LR sit for months still submerged but didn’t feed tank or have a heater or light. I still have some bristle worms but been able to keep population low.(I think) They are a great CUC addition to have. My opinion has changed about them. It really depends on the species of bristle worm you’re dealing with.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

TnFishwater98

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size of a grain of rice?!? Nothing to worry about. You aren’t seeing like 30+ in one area are ya?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually wont recommend both arrow crabs nor the banded coral shrimp , i know that you wanted an invert but I would recommend some sort of wrasse like :
  • yellow Coris Wrasse
  • Melanurus Wrasse
  • Six Line wrasse (could be aggressive)
I would also like to add in a larger tank the Jade wrasse. I have a 4” one in a 4’ tank yes they can be boisterous as far as wrasse they are not even close to sixline aggression. Now that fish have been added into the picture:
- Jade wrasse,
- Yellow coris wrasse (not my favourite wrasse available but it will do)
- Sixline alternative = Pinstripe wrasse,
- Radiant wrasse (These are iffy, along with all other wrasse)
- This is a wrasse that isn’t actually known or even supposed to be a worm eater however mine has been the odd one out (Macropharyngodon bipartitus)

Top Shelf Aquatics

TnFishwater98

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
735860C1-4C95-43ED-95C7-9063D9CA8BEB.jpeg
211EB543-05F2-4969-B4DB-5B2000AD7A3C.jpeg
2EC787A8-BA12-488A-9124-C99794D25358.jpeg

Bad pics
Pic 1&2 Ball anemone eating bristle worm
3rd pic ball anemone

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral banded shrimp but they can attack other ornamental shrimp.

TnFishwater98

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral banded shrimp but they can attack other ornamental shrimp.
Most fish that will eat bristle worms adds possiblity other ornamentals in tank will become a tasty snack. That’s why I’m real cautious because I have a bunch of sexy shrimp, Pom Pom crabs , anemone shrimp, bumble bee shrimps , and other cool small invertebrates.

Top Shelf Aquatics

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most fish that will eat bristle worms adds possiblity other ornamentals in tank will become a tasty snack. That’s why I’m real cautious because I have a bunch of sexy shrimp, Pom Pom crabs , anemone shrimp, bumble bee shrimps , and other cool small invertebrates.
Snails are fine the sexy would be a concern if all else fails bristle worm traps. If se xy get traped you can always release

Nutramar Foods

TnFishwater98

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, that’s a ball nem? I got told my questionable animal in a cave was an NPS corallimorph. It looks VERY similar to that.
Ball anemones are a Coralimorph , to me they can become problematic. They eat snails and obviously bristle worms. They keep snails from certain areas of LR and always have empty shells next to them. I just added a Aiptasia eating filefish to see if he will eat them

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back