Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While owning a reef tank can be amazing at times, it comes with some challenges. Sometimes we have an algae outbreak or something in our tank breaks, leading us to figuring out how to fix it. I am wondering what has been challenging to you while owning a reef tank!!

Nutramar Foods

MECOMI

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While owning a reef tank can be amazing at times, it comes with some challenges. Sometimes we have an algae outbreak or something in our tank breaks, leading us to figuring out how to fix it. I am wondering what has been challenging to you while owning a reef tank!!
The biggest challenge is myself overthinking. This overall i would consider a positive but it certainly presents a challenge when you're trying to enjoy the reef!

Any change done to the tank - overthinking, was it right?

Problem in the tank - overthinking the resolution

Glue down a coral - overthinking position, growth, health, permanence

add livestock - overthinking what it will do to the ecosystem...

ahhhhhhh

Confused Mental Health GIF by RainToMe

Happy Friday,

B-Kind

AquaCave Logo Banner

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest challenge for me is that there are so many different fish and coral that I would like to keep at home but my tank is only about 150 gallons total water.

Thats about the same amount of water that drifts past a cubic meter of ocean reef each second of the day. Over crowding is the biggest issue we face with our tanks, imo.
cinco de mayo GIF
Happy English GIF by Fusion

fodsod

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest challenge is myself overthinking. This overall i would consider a positive but it certainly presents a challenge when you're trying to enjoy the reef!

Any change done to the tank - overthinking, was it right?

Problem in the tank - overthinking the resolution

Glue down a coral - overthinking position, growth, health, permanence

add livestock - overthinking what it will do to the ecosystem...

ahhhhhhh

Confused Mental Health GIF by RainToMe

Happy Friday,

B-Kind
Couldn't agree more.
Rocking Back And Forth Family Guy GIF

Top Shelf Aquatics

DannoOMG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest challenge for me is myself.

I am the X factor right now for screwing up things in my tank. (Not knowing what aiptasia was 2 years ago before buying a coral frag at a local fish store that had lots of them in their tanks)
Not bothering to do research on how to dose 2 part Calc/Alk and making my return pumps fail.
Every single thing I have done to my tank incorrectly is because I am a half wit and probably shouldn't have gotten into the hobby. Things are starting to turn around in the tank but I am such a hack and unfortunately I learn lessons until things are almost too late.

Fish dying has not been fun.

ReefDreamz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say trying to gauge how big of a problem a problem in my tank actually is. Is a given problem a serious issue that needs attention now or is it actually not really a problem at all? That and figuring out how to fix a given problem.

AquaCave Logo Banner

nuxx

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a pristine tank for years and then having an tough algae outbreak show up.

Also QTing everything wet including coral and CUC.

I'd say when things weren't going the best I wasn't in a great mood which probably made my wife not want to be around me at the time lol

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

revhtree

Owner Administrator
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   1

billyocean

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
getting rid of dinoflagellates, going on 1 year now :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Have you tried turkey basting at lights out and leave a piece of filter floss on a nori clip overnight? Clean the floss every morning with tap and set aside then repeat thereafter. I caught mine early and upped my nitrates from 6 to 18 and phos from .02 to .1, added uv, lightly dosed MB7. not sure what the catalyst was but it was gone in about 4/5 days. I did confirm ostreopsis with microscope. The filter floss/algae clip got LOADED with them every night and I think that it was a big factor in concentrating them in one spot for removal. Personally, I was prepared for a long fight..could have been the combo of catching quickly as well. It was fairly prevalent in a matter of first sight (are those dinos?) to..whoa...yeah..dinos.

Nutramar Foods

Peter Houde

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh sure, the predictable ephemeral outbreak of some new organism or ailment can be a real headache and cause for a lot of concern and effort. The silver lining is that in the process I learn a lot about weird life-forms and many come and go pretty much on their own. No, the biggest challenge based on effort-hours is just routine weekly maintenance: water changes, testing, changing out media, cleaning pumps van replacing filters, etc.

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Travel. When I started this hobby my job was boring with only the very occasional trip. Now I’m often on multi week deployments and sometimes with only a day or two in between. The last few months have had me very worried about my tanks.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
GHL Advanced Technology
Back