Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased two nassarius snails today. One has what I’m sure are the eggs of some other snail. I’m just not sure what kind of snail. Here’s a picture. I just know it’s not something I see everyday exactly. Thank you.

640F609F-A3C8-4742-898A-A2D473F99A13.jpeg

AS

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased two nassarius snails today. One has what I’m sure are the eggs of some other snail. I’m just not sure what kind of snail. Here’s a picture. I just know it’s not something I see everyday exactly. Thank you.

View attachment 3104716
Can you get some straight-on, top-down pics of the eggs (so that we're looking straight at them in the pic rather than looking at them from the side like this)?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

View attachment 3104716
Looks like eggs of a whelk snail

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Oh. Hopefully none hatch if that’s the case. I want to have clams. Nassarius snails are still wild caught, no?
Hatch rate extremely low as they do best in cooler temps

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nassarius snails are still wild caught, no?
To my knowledge, pretty much all snails (and pretty much all inverts) in the hobby are still wild caught. To date, I'm only aware of three Nassarius snail species that have been aquacultured, and I'm not aware of anyone/any company actively breeding them.

Also, whelk is a very broad term that technically refers to any species from the family Buccinidae (though the term is frequently used to indicate any predatory snail, which is an ever broader category), and some of these species are tropical (and as such, will do perfectly fine at/require tropical temps). From what I've seen, the pattern the eggs are in in that pic is a very uncommon pattern for snails, so I'd personally feel more comfortable trying to give an ID with a few more white light pics. That said, if they are whelk eggs, the young will most likely come out as pelagic larvae (called veligers), and they'll most likely all die (get eaten, skimmed out, etc.).

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge, pretty much all snails (and pretty much all inverts) in the hobby are still wild caught. To date, I'm only aware of three Nassarius snail species that have been aquacultured, and I'm not aware of anyone/any company actively breeding them.

Also, whelk is a very broad term that technically refers to any species from the family Buccinidae (though the term is frequently used to indicate any predatory snail, which is an ever broader category), and some of these species are tropical (and as such, will do perfectly fine at/require tropical temps). From what I've seen, the pattern the eggs are in in that pic is a very uncommon pattern for snails, so I'd personally feel more comfortable trying to give an ID with a few more white light pics. That said, if they are whelk eggs, the young will most likely come out as pelagic larvae (called veligers), and they'll most likely all die (get eaten, skimmed out, etc.).
I thought they were still wild caught. If they were nassarius or cerith eggs I would have tried to raise the veligers as best as I could. I used to breed ghost shrimp when I had a planted tank. I didn’t have a perfect record but I certainly got young that made it all the way. Whelk eggs are persona non gratis in my system. I’m not at home right now but once I get there I’ll feed the tank. When the nassarius with the eggs comes out I’ll get much better pictures hopefully.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back