What does this beautiful Female Anthias have on/ in her gills or gill plates?

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
What does this beautiful Female Anthias have on/ in her gills or gill plates?

It's on both sides ...

She is 2 year old snd the male is funky healthy ...

She had developed this 2 months back too, she had stopped eating ... but recovered...

i feed frozen PE mysis 2x daily (and fewd nori).

i have NOT added or removed any fish in over 1.5 year ..

My water is good, lots of corals .. all doing well
PO4 0.08 ppm
NO3 <10
Salinity 1.26
Alk 8.6

20240729_013647.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Longer video ...

Looks like an injury or nick with object which has bruising and will need treatment. You can treat In-tank with Ruby Rally pro but will take longer. I see the respirations are elevated and best treated in separate tank with added aeration using air stone and with Seachem Neoplex. What other fish in the tank with it and how do they look and breathing normal?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longer video ...

If you compare the female to the male - she is pale, breathing fast and looks very "depressed". Then, she has the lesion on its chin. the male is breathing slow, is very alert and has better color. To me, that helps rule out any contagious disease.

I agree - the female probably needs to be moved to a hospital tank and treated with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic such as Neoplex. Please bear in mind though - when a bacterial infection reaches the point where a fish has begun to breath faster, that means the infection has become systemic and is much more difficult to treat.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for the review and responses.

There is no other fishes with any issues. I have a lot of fish, all been together for years - no chnage over 1.5 years.

The female was always pale but was chunkier than male. She has had this nick/ bruise for over 1 month now ... I would have thought physical hurt would have healed by now .. she is not eating now :( but no other fishes bothering her and she stays in open (not hiding)

Will a doze of Chemiclean (it's "antibacterial") in main tank help?

I generally try not catch and move fish to hospital tank, catching is an issue with corals .. and stress from catching/ new tank hurts the sick fish ...

Trying to find options for treatment in main tank.. chemiclean in main tank has not hurt at all in past (foe Cyano bacteria treatment). Question is, what can be done in main tank and may help?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the review and responses.

There is no other fishes with any issues. I have a lot of fish, all been together for years - no chnage over 1.5 years.

The female was always pale but was chunkier than male. She has had this nick/ bruise for over 1 month now ... I would have thought physical hurt would have healed by now .. she is not eating now :( but no other fishes bothering her and she stays in open (not hiding)

Will a doze of Chemiclean (it's "antibacterial") in main tank help?

I generally try not catch and move fish to hospital tank, catching is an issue with corals .. and stress from catching/ new tank hurts the sick fish ...

Trying to find options for treatment in main tank.. chemiclean in main tank has not hurt at all in past (foe Cyano bacteria treatment). Question is, what can be done in main tank and may help?

I would not use chemiclean to treat a fish issue. They are pretty vague about its ingredients and dosage.

The female looks better to me in that whole tank video….

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Unfortunately the female Anthias did not make it. Last Tuesday it passed away.

My water parameters are fine and all corals looking great. I starred my UV on Wednesday night.

6 weeks back, I had put fresh carbon in bag and made tank water slowly flow thru it.. (never removed carbon). About 3 weeks back and I noticed my Gem Tank, Yellow Tang and Yellow Corris having some whitish slime loss/ patch on their body and some fin rot. The female Anthias had the situation I shared above.

I thought it was carbon related.. but I removed carbon 2 week back, Anthias died ... today I notice my yellow tang situation worsening, Gem has not improved...

Here is a clip of all three:

I did a 30% water chnage yesterday.

Do you think the fishes will recover on their own (water conditions good and I am feeding nori and frozen 2x daily)?

I cannot (prefer not) do hospital tank treatment. Top many fishes/ corals in main tank and my 2 tangs will kill each other in small tank.

What main tank treatment should I do, that is reef safe?

Cipro?

(My tank and sump has 260 gallons water so I could add 11 ml of Cipro mix (500 MG tab crushed in 50 ml water) and add it every other night for 3 nights )Monday night, Wednesday and Friday) and then change 30% water on Saturday. Will this work for sick fishes? Do I need to worry about my corals and inverts (Nem, Cleaner shrimp and snails)?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the female Anthias did not make it. Last Tuesday it passed away.

My water parameters are fine and all corals looking great. I starred my UV on Wednesday night.

6 weeks back, I had put fresh carbon in bag and made tank water slowly flow thru it.. (never removed carbon). About 3 weeks back and I noticed my Gem Tank, Yellow Tang and Yellow Corris having some whitish slime loss/ patch on their body and some fin rot. The female Anthias had the situation I shared above.

I thought it was carbon related.. but I removed carbon 2 week back, Anthias died ... today I notice my yellow tang situation worsening, Gem has not improved...

Here is a clip of all three:

I did a 30% water chnage yesterday.

Do you think the fishes will recover on their own (water conditions good and I am feeding nori and frozen 2x daily)?

I cannot (prefer not) do hospital tank treatment. Top many fishes/ corals in main tank and my 2 tangs will kill each other in small tank.

What main tank treatment should I do, that is reef safe?

Cipro?

(My tank and sump has 260 gallons water so I could add 11 ml of Cipro mix (500 MG tab crushed in 50 ml water) and add it every other night for 3 nights )Monday night, Wednesday and Friday) and then change 30% water on Saturday. Will this work for sick fishes? Do I need to worry about my corals and inverts (Nem, Cleaner shrimp and snails)?

Sorry to hear about the anthias, does the male still look good?

I could really see anything on the yellow wrasse.

The fins on the zebrasoma tangs is what HLLE looks like in these species. However, the rapid onset of these symptoms is odd.

Do you see any scratching?

I wouldn’t dose your display with cipro - the dose needed for bacterial fish diseases is higher than I think corals should be exposed to. A typical static bath for fish in cipro is 30 mg/ gallon. A commonly used dose for corals is 1 mg /gallon.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks Jay for quick response.

There is 0 scratching by any fish.

The male anthias is doing perfect.

All fishes are eating well.

Did u notice jagged tail of Gem tang, that cud be related to HLLE?

Also, did you notice sunken belly of the yellow tang. Any thoughts?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay for quick response.

There is 0 scratching by any fish.

The male anthias is doing perfect.

All fishes are eating well.

Did u notice jagged tail of Gem tang, that cud be related to HLLE?

Also, did you notice sunken belly of the yellow tang. Any thoughts?
Zebrasoma tangs show fin damage as a symptom of HLLE. However, there are other causes for this, mostly tankmate aggression. The difference can be subtle, but in HLLE fin damage, the fins don’t have a “freshly shredded” look. Your gem might be that, or it could be older, partially healed fin damage from some aggression issue.

Pinched bellies in yellow tangs is pretty common. You can manage that by feeding more protein foods as opposed to algae and nori.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Got it. Thank Jay.

I will hold off meds and focus on feeding

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
All fishes look fine. I fed an extra round of pe-mysis

I took a very closeup video (Apologies for some video chopiness the shaking ..)

Let me know if it helps further the analysis?

Attachments

• 20240805_174558.jpg
    20240805_174558.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 18

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fishes look fine. I fed an extra round of pe-mysis

I took a very closeup video (Apologies for some video chopiness the shaking ..)

Let me know if it helps further the analysis?

The video is set to private.

Th pale areas on the YT also looks like HLLE.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The video is set to private.

Th pale areas on the YT also looks like HLLE.
Just now updated the permission to non-private unlisted. Checkout the video, it had clear view ...

Appreciate it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just now updated the permission to non-private unlisted. Checkout the video, it had clear view ...

Appreciate it.

The only thing I can see in the video that isn't related to HLLE is the slightly cloudy eyes on the gem tang. That is often a sign of Neobenedenia flukes, but I would expect to see some scratching/flashing.

When were the last fish added to this tank and what species? Anything in the past 3 months?

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
0 fish Add in 1 year

0 flashing or scratching either

I did add coral frags but all with 8 min dip in strong Revive solution...

Towards the end of the clip you would see the dorsal fin closely - the marks and degradation are all HLLE looking?

It is possible .. I just wanted to see to confirm ...

To reiterate, my tank setup has 260 gallon water and I had added 3 cups of new carbon in a sleeve and made the water go through it (put the UV exit pipe in the sleeve ...) so tank was forced to go through high power BRS ROX carbon ... Wonder if that caused the damage ... coz I noticed 3 fishes with degraded skin and patches (Gem, YT and Yellow corris) .. I removed all carbon and I see all 3 fish conditions not degrade ..

the reason I wrote this post, is when I saw sunk bellow for YT ..

Thanks for responses

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 fish Add in 1 year

0 flashing or scratching either

I did add coral frags but all with 8 min dip in strong Revive solution...

Towards the end of the clip you would see the dorsal fin closely - the marks and degradation are all HLLE looking?

It is possible .. I just wanted to see to confirm ...

To reiterate, my tank setup has 260 gallon water and I had added 3 cups of new carbon in a sleeve and made the water go through it (put the UV exit pipe in the sleeve ...) so tank was forced to go through high power BRS ROX carbon ... Wonder if that caused the damage ... coz I noticed 3 fishes with degraded skin and patches (Gem, YT and Yellow corris) .. I removed all carbon and I see all 3 fish conditions not degrade ..

the reason I wrote this post, is when I saw sunk bellow for YT ..

Thanks for responses

My concern with Neobenedenia flukes is that their sticky eggs easily transfer from tank to tank and an infection can start from just one egg. The revive dip will not kill these eggs. However, the corals would have had to have come from a tank that had infected fish in it.

Other than the cloudy eyes, this all looks like HLLE to me…..

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I see, with fluke the fishes got to scratch- could fish have fluke and 0 scratching from any fish at all (I watched them for hours)?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, with fluke the fishes got to scratch- could fish have fluke and 0 scratching from any fish at all (I watched them for hours)?
Early on, with gill flukes and Neobenedenia, there won’t be any/much scratching, but you should still see fin flicking and darting.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back