What do you test for and how often do you test?

BRS

mistergray

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test salinity before every water change. My 32 gallon tank is 2+ years old and I never tested for much else, unless I saw a problem. I answered some questions on the Red Sea website today and it advised what’s in the following screenshots. Do you all really test all this? I’ll be honest, I despise testing. I wish I could put a drop on a piece of paper and 20 results come out with all my parameters. :grinning-squinting-face: Any who… What (nitrate, pH, etc….) do you test for and how often (daily, weekly, monthly, never)?

Heck, if you don’t test (outside of salinity) at all, feel free to tell me your logic.

36DBCF01-05E3-4349-93D9-6B9D19E84F8A.jpeg 88B00D43-311F-4A89-84BE-373462472AAD.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ca, alk, mag weekly or daily if I up dosing.
Nitrates maybe once a week since I'm getting readings now, phos maybe every two weeks. pH rarely. Salinity weekly and at water changes.

Some of my nutrient numbers really don't change and may just finish out my tests and stop.

I test some things just to see if there are trends, but I'm getting to the point where things are dialed in.

Last edited:

fishywishy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test salinity before every water change. My 32 gallon tank is 2+ years old and I never tested for much else, unless I saw a problem. I answered some questions on the Red Sea website today and it advised what’s in the following screenshots. Do you all really test all this? I’ll be honest, I despise testing. I wish I could put a drop on a piece of paper and 20 results come out with all my parameters. :grinning-squinting-face: Any who… What (nitrate, pH, etc….) do you test for and how often (daily, weekly, monthly, never)?

Heck, if you don’t test (outside of salinity) at all, feel free to tell me your logic.

View attachment 3049123 View attachment 3049124
As long as you maintain your tank properly I don’t think you would need to test anything, I haven’t tested anything in a long time except things for corals because I dose stuff for them.

AquaCave Logo Banner

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I test alk, nitrates, and phos. These I have been testing daily as my nutients keep bottoming out. I think I finally have the amounts I dose dialed in and am going to start every other day or maybe 3. I test calcium occasionally but do not dose as it's over 500 for some unknown reason in 2 tanks. My systems are just getting over a troubled period. I used to not test much at all when things were looking good. And hopefully I can an return to that regimen soon.

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ca, alk, mag weekly or daily if I up dosing.
Nitrates maybe once a week since I'm getting readings now, phos maybe every two weeks. pH rarely. Salinity weekly and at water changes.

Some of my nutrient numbers really don't change and may just finish out my tests and stop.

I test some things just to see if there are trends, but I'm getting to the point where things are dialed in.
What brand of tests do you use?

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar Foods

Dbichler

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates and phosphates once a week and alk monthly. Everything else is almost always in line so rarely test the others. Salinity checked when my brute trash can ato. Empties. Salifert for all but nitrates which I use nyos. Tropic Marin hydrometer and Hannah for quick test of salinity.

BRS

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do test everything weekly during the water change. However my system is new at 7 months.

I am also interested on how to dose the red sea trace colors. Do you just go with the recommended or do you do a monthly icp test for it?

I think there are better alternatives to red seas trace line. They include a lot of elements not known to have any benefit and require 4 bottles

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

View attachment 3049123 View attachment 3049124
It will depend if you are fish only or Reef with coral. This is a chemistry lab pictured and main with coral are Alk-CA-Mag-Phosphate-Nitrate.
Add ammonia for fish and I too check salinity before water change

BRS
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Battlecorals
Back