Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent the weekend building my sump system. For now I'm running filter socks but in a few months plan on switching to a roller. The middle chamber is a refugium section. Currently I have so chaeto in there and in the bottom i have ceramic bio filter media. What do you all run in your systems? I still need to setup my dosing pumps into the return section and clean up the wiring.

20230115_193138.jpg 20230115_193143.jpg

Nutramar Foods
Corals.com

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sock, skimmer, and reactor pump first chamber. Rubble rock, bag of Seachem matrix. and heater in the second section. Dose between the baffles between the second and third chambers, also ATO goes into that baffle(very high flow). Just a return pump, reactor output, and probes in third chamber.

Pretty basic.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty simple, socks, skimmer, lots of rock and rubble, carbon, phosgaurd and a uv. No controllers or dosers, no water changes. Low maintenance predator reef. Here's a short vid to get a good idea of how the inhabitants look.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
T

Trooper182

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. So my first camber is just the filter socks. The probes for my temp are in that chamber. From what I read it's better to have them up stream from the heaters as it's measuring the water temp coming from the MD vs the heated water before it gets pumped back to the MD. Middle chamber has the chaeto, below that is the heaters and bio media. Last chamber is the return and ato water gets pumped into there.

World Wide Corals

DanyL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roller mat, oversized skimmer, GFO reactor, activated carbon reactor and Biopellets reactor in the first chamber, also KHD takes samples from here, after the roller mat and the chiller return.

Second chamber is what supposed to be a large fuge, but I turned it into a fully fledged frag tank with proper light and additional wave maker, I run the lights in reverse to the display and it keeps my alk consumption and ph stable, I also dose into this chamber.

Third chamber is where my return pump is (which also feed the chiller), as well as the heater (due to a lack of space, it is at the very bottom so it won't dry out if there's no enough water), I also have real live rock leftovers (from over a decade ago when they were still available for sale) which will soon be used for my future frag tank, also my gravity ATO goes into this chamber.

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heaters, plastic tubing with cold water for cooling, float switches for ATO and emergency return pump shut down, pH probe, ORP probe when used, temperature probe, limewater addition point, skimmer removal and return points, GFO and GAC removal and return points.

Corals.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AquaNerd
Back