What do YOU put in your FOWLR tanks to make them look more like a ... "reef"...?

salty150

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, LOVE reefs, love the look of them, etc...

But also, love Angels (small and large) and Butterflies, etc...

So I want to do one FOWLR so I can have the Angels and Butterflies - but the tank looks so "empty" for a lack of a better word with just the fish and live rock.

I tried looking at fake corals - but they look just like that - fake...

I tried looking into various saltwater plants - but Tangs eat most of them - and the ones they usually don't aren't really worth putting in the tank...

So, I am at a loss...

Any help/input would be GREATLY appreciated...

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

JC1977

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It you’re truly wanting to do a true FOWLR then it comes at a price just like doing a reef tank loaded with expensive sps comes at a price. I know because I went back and forth between the two always thinking there’s gotta be a way to keep all those corals with those big beautiful fish but in the end it’s a harsh truth: you can’t always have your cake and eat it too. Sure there are people that have managed against the odds to accomplish this but they’re in the minority. I love my emperor and queen angels and my porc puffer but I would never dream of putting them in a tank with expensive coral. So in the end I have a tank with bare rock and fish. In my new build I may try some cheap corals like gsp or softies to achieve a little more color and some movement but in the end for me that tank is all about the fish. Keeping certain fish comes at a sacrifice it’s wether you are willing to make that commitment or not.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with two reef tanks then went large fowlr then nutrients became an issue so went to soft corals and it’s the perfect compromise easier to manage nutrients and you get some cool corals that look good and if fish nibble them no big deal.

Top Shelf Aquatics

dennis romano

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 with angels and butterflies. To dress up the rock, I used coral skeletons left over from a tank wipe out. Butterflies and soft corals don't mix well, I tried. They constantly pick on them. I also tried macro algaes.
IMG_1566.jpg
That was nothing but an expensive dinner for the fish.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Zach B

North American Noo-Psyche Sales Representative
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I keep bta's in mine :) Nobody has messed with them. I suppose not a fowlr but the only thing I can add. Best of luck

Nutramar Foods
Top Shelf Aquatics

HB AL

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I want to do one FOWLR so I can have the Angels and Butterflies - but the tank looks so "empty" for a lack of a better word with just the fish and live rock.

I tried looking into various saltwater plants - but Tangs eat most of them - and the ones they usually don't aren't really worth putting in the tank...

So, I am at a loss...

I was in that same boat maybe 5 years ago or so. I just like keeping carnivores and such, triggers have been my favorite since my first one 35+ years ago, groupers, etc..
So I started adding different frags and now it's turned into a nice mixed reef with 5 triggers, a miniatus grouper, a Broomtail wrasse who is the queen of the tank, Hippo Tang, squirrel fish, and last but not least my Japanese Dragon Eel. If you have true coral eaters like puffers or big angels etc.. then it's a no go. Just wanted to show you there is an option of adding corals. I have some acropora but not wanting to deal with the care they require I have many other corals that thrive under my systems conditions. Here's a vid for a good idea.
20230125_125045.jpg

AS

Devaji

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my plan for the incoming 200+ 75 sump is to use real reef rock and make nice aquascape also will add either real LR or coral plugs to seed it so hopefully I can get the coralline.

if will focus on butterflies might try some soft coral tho. but I dont expect anything. after some time a year or so I might try some SPS but the butterflies will prob eat those too.

have you seen these? thinking about getting some for my seahorse setup. yes there fake but dont look to bad.

https://www.artificialcoralinserts.com

dracogrey

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So, I am at a loss...

Not sure you got the answers you wanted, and I have the same questions so I was hopeful. In the end I'm going live rock with decorative (dead) coral skeletons. They should add some texture and color.

slicknick1970

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in that same boat maybe 5 years ago or so. I just like keeping carnivores and such, triggers have been my favorite since my first one 35+ years ago, groupers, etc..
So I started adding different frags and now it's turned into a nice mixed reef with 5 triggers, a miniatus grouper, a Broomtail wrasse who is the queen of the tank, Hippo Tang, squirrel fish, and last but not least my Japanese Dragon Eel. If you have true coral eaters like puffers or big angels etc.. then it's a no go. Just wanted to show you there is an option of adding corals. I have some acropora but not wanting to deal with the care they require I have many other corals that thrive under my systems conditions. Here's a vid for a good idea.View attachment 2991272
What is the black trigger w the white outlines. Very cool.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

NooPsyche CORAL LIGHT
Back