What disease or infection can kill fish quick (1-2 days)?

whitelightning77

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can kill fish quick, in a matter of a day or two? I know velvet can, but I don't think it is that. I don't see the typical spots or powdery look.

It started Monday....Sunday everyone was out and acting normal, eating. Monday I noticed my 7in emperor snapper didn't want to come up for food. Usually it is the first one up splashing water at me. I noticed his fins looked ragged and the eyes were cloudy and some skin was sloughing off. Tuesday I come home and he was actually on the tiles.....jumped out (never had an issue with him before).

Today I came home and noticed none of the fish coming out to eat. This is a semi outdoor pond on a patio so I thought maybe the fish were hiding. There are storms moving in here and thought maybe the barometric pressure was affecting them. Only my locally caught grunt and pudding wife wrasse came out. Turned off all the pumps to inspect the pond better and noticed my locally caught sergeant major dead. Yesterday it was fine. No spots indicative of ich or velvet. Now I just found my humu humu trigger alive but barely. Easily caught it with my hands. Gave it a freshwater dip. Nothing dropped off like flukes or the like. Again, no spots. However I do see some eroding fins and there is a spot that looks like the skin is sloughing off. This is really confusing me
20230525_202237.jpg
20230525_194938.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
What can kill fish quick, in a matter of a day or two? I know velvet can, but I don't think it is that. I don't see the typical spots or powdery look.

It started Monday....Sunday everyone was out and acting normal, eating. Monday I noticed my 7in emperor snapper didn't want to come up for food. Usually it is the first one up splashing water at me. I noticed his fins looked ragged and the eyes were cloudy and some skin was sloughing off. Tuesday I come home and he was actually on the tiles.....jumped out (never had an issue with him before).

Today I came home and noticed none of the fish coming out to eat. This is a semi outdoor pond on a patio so I thought maybe the fish were hiding. There are storms moving in here and thought maybe the barometric pressure was affecting them. Only my locally caught grunt and pudding wife wrasse came out. Turned off all the pumps to inspect the pond better and noticed my locally caught sergeant major dead. Yesterday it was fine. No spots indicative of ich or velvet. Now I just found my humu humu trigger alive but barely. Easily caught it with my hands. Gave it a freshwater dip. Nothing dropped off like flukes or the like. Again, no spots. However I do see some eroding fins and there is a spot that looks like the skin is sloughing off. This is really confusing meView attachment 3169221View attachment 3169220.
Velvet -flukes- ammonia spikes/;low dissolved oxygen-contaminants and even High temperature
Any signs or symptoms you saw such as:
Loss of appetite
heavy breathing
lethargic behavior
Hiding
??

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
whitelightning77

whitelightning77

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet -flukes- ammonia spikes/;low dissolved oxygen-contaminants and even High temperature
Loss of appetite
heavy breathing
lethargic behavior
Hiding
??
Basically all of it, but it happened almost over night, with nothing really changing in the pond. I feel like if it was velvet I would have seen some external signs like the tiny white spots. The only thing I did was add about 20 or 30 gals of fresh water to top off. Its a 300+ gal system. Its water from the tap, but I'm on a well system.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
whitelightning77

whitelightning77

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loss of appetite
heavy breathing
lethargic behavior
Hiding
??
At this moment, the water temp is at 79-80. Not something I would think would cause death.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Today I came home and noticed none of the fish coming out to eat. This is a semi outdoor pond on a patio so I thought maybe the fish were hiding. There are storms moving in here and thought maybe the barometric pressure was affecting them. Only my locally caught grunt and pudding wife wrasse came out. Turned off all the pumps to inspect the pond better and noticed my locally caught sergeant major dead. Yesterday it was fine. No spots indicative of ich or velvet. Now I just found my humu humu trigger alive but barely. Easily caught it with my hands. Gave it a freshwater dip. Nothing dropped off like flukes or the like. Again, no spots. However I do see some eroding fins and there is a spot that looks like the skin is sloughing off. This is really confusing meView attachment 3169221View attachment 3169220.
When you say a pond, does that mean no lateral viewing of the fish? If so, that makes prompt disease diagnosis very difficult, something could have snuck up on you.
Velvet only has visual symptoms in its later stages, (you may see vague cloudiness of the eyes and skin) and then not always then. The two symptoms are always rapid breathing and not feeding, followed by death.
Jay

OP
OP
whitelightning77

whitelightning77

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say a pond, does that mean no lateral viewing of the fish? If so, that makes prompt disease diagnosis very difficult, something could have snuck up on you.
Velvet only has visual symptoms in its later stages, (you may see vague cloudiness of the eyes and skin) and then not always then. The two symptoms are always rapid breathing and not feeding, followed by death.
Jay
Yes, you are right. No lateral viewing.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you are right. No lateral viewing.
How is the pond set up? Do you have the ability to run copper in it?
What fish remain?
Can you use a view bucket to see if they are breathing fast?
Jay

OP
OP
whitelightning77

whitelightning77

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the pond set up? Do you have the ability to run copper in it?
What fish remain?
Can you use a view bucket to see if they are breathing fast?
Jay
Will have to check in the morning. They have all hunkered down for the night

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Cultivated Reef
Back